Saturday, September 17, 2011

Tomato soup

I have spent the weekend on the sofa with a snuffly nose, cough and fever. Yay. It's cool here, fall weather has come, and that coupled with the chills from the fever means all I could think about was some home made tomato soup.  Soooo, good. With buttery homemade bread croutons It'll knock your socks off.  This recipe is one my daughter, Victoria, came up with. She says it came from Pioneer Woman, but I couldn't find one exactly like this so Victoria may have tweaked a PW recipe and made it her own. At any rate, it is perfect when you feel crummy. Or if you're not.
You'll notice that even though I am sick, I could still pull together a photo session for the soup....sick in more ways than one I guess. And just so you know, I pulled that basil garnish out before I ate it.  I am ridiculous. Anyway, I hope you aren't feeling under the weather, but file this away for when you are. You'll thank me some day, or I should say you'll thank Victoria.

Tomato Soup
9 x 13" pan of tomatoes roasted, peeled and blended (or 4 cans diced tomatoes drained)
1 clove garlic roasted
1 med. onion sauteed
2 chicken bouillon cubes
3 tsp. sugar
Lots of ground pepper (to taste, we LOVE ground pepper)
1/2 tsp salt
A good handful of chopped basil (again, to taste)
 1/2 to 3/4 cup white wine

Roast the tomatoes, or drain the canned tomatoes.  If you don't roast the garlic you can saute it in with the onion, see the way we roll around here? All loosey goosey? It works.
Saute the onions, when they are all soft and starting to get a little golden, add the broth, wine, tomatoes and everything else on the list. Let it all simmer for 20 minutes. Run some of the chunks through the blender to make it thick and smoother. Taste and adjust seasoning, I like a teeny bit more sugar.
Add home made, buttered croutons and be prepared to be warmed from the inside out.  I'm living on this for the next couple days until I feel better, then I may eat some more. Thanks Victoria:>) I ♥ you.

14 comments:

  1. There is nothing quite like roast tomato soup. I make a lot of it and freeze it for the Winter evenings.
    Do hope you will be well again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two yummy sounding recipes in a row. The weather has just started to chill down a bit here in Southern California (for us that means the 60's...lol) so it will be soup time before you know it. Hope you are feeling better. Patty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very sorry you're under the weather. Starting the flu season early aren't you!?? The soup looks yummy ~ I think that pretty pumpkin place mat makes the soup look especially pretty. (Does that sound right ~ soup looking pretty?) Anyway Get Well Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry that you are under the weather -- or given the weather that you are hiding from it...the time of year when the temps. change and the body reacts.

    I love the look of this soup and the recipe sounds amazing...that you took the time to photograph it for us (beautifully I might add) makes it even better.

    Feel better...this soup ought to go a long way to warming you up inside and out! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy
    I don't have to be sick to want homemade tomato soup! Every Sat. was soup day at my folks house. I think I should carry on the tradition.
    So...sorry you are under the weather. A fever too? That's not good. I'm saying a prayer for you now.
    Take care-Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never made homemade tomato soup before. I don't know why, I guess because I like Campbell's. But this looks so good! Hope you are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grilled cheese and Campbell's tomato soup is my go to "get better" food. Homemade tomato soup sounds even better. Hope you are feeling better soon, though I can't help you with the blogger syndrome of taking photos of everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you feel better soon! I love tomato soup and grilled cheese... my go to soup for being under the weather is chicken noodle, but tomato is a close second!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry you have the sniffles! That soup does look delicious. I love homemade soups of all kinds...

    Get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, this looks divine! Still hot here...
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you feel better soon!

    The soup looks delicious but for some reason all I can think about are the buttery home made croutons :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I ♥ you, too, Victoria, for this delicious sounding recipe. Can't wait to try it.

    So so sorry you are sick, Kathy. Several bloggers have mentioned having the same thing. I DON'T WANT IT. :)
    Feel better real soon...
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry that you are under the weather :( When I am feeling the way you are, I love tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich (if my stomach can handle the sandwich) My tomato soup usually comes from a can. I'll have to flag this one and make it on a cool winter night. Hope you are feeling better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Morning Kathy,

    Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I hope you get better real soon and in the mean time...eat soup!

    This recipe looks so comforting..I love soup of any kind and I will absolutely be making this recipe.

    Thank Victoria for me!

    Janet xox
    http://theemptynest-janet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)