Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Mary, Mary Quite Contrary

How does your garden grow?
This time of year you could say I get a little obsessed with flowers. After the l-o-n-g hard winter we had, and especially after seeing all you southern and California girls who have been enjoying and harvesting your gardens for months (#jealous) finally getting a little floral action around here really scratches that itch for Spring.
The fuchsia hanging on the front porch were a Mothers Day gift from youngest daughter, but the rest were  photographed just moments ago as I walked the back yard looking to see what was blooming. The pink crabapple tree has more blossoms than I have ever seen on it, the apple trees are happy and full of bumbles, the lilacs aren't as profuse as usual but it was a hard winter!  My white violets are taking over the back doorway, much to my delight! and the tulips are waving their little heads in the breeze.  How delightful!
This bleeding heart was white when I planted it years ago, it has reverted to pink. I'm ok with that, who can not love bleeding hearts no matter what the color?
A few other things didn't fare quite as well. We lost our ancient pear tree in the bitter cold.  The fruit was never worth a fig but the leaves were beautiful in every season and it bloomed so beautifully. The white peach tree died too. It was so heavily loaded with fruit last fall that one of the major limbs fell off, I think the damage contributed to losing it.  The sweet autumn clematis also died  back much further than it has in the past, but the bottom is still alive and I have confidence that it will recover.
This week we will need to start planting the flowers for Victoria's wedding bouquets and centerpieces. It's summer, why would I pay a fortune for something I can grow?
Anything new in your garden?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

15 comments:

  1. Such beautiful flowers!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm obsessed with the garden this time of year too Kathy. I hate that you lost some trees. My husband and I always cringe when that happens. You have some beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a profusion of colour! Isn't it lovely when everything wakes up and blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful flowers! I go a little crazy about my gardens at this time of the year too! I stop at the garden center nearly every day after work:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you have your work cut out for you with growing bouquets for the wedding. So sorry about losing the pear and peach tree...it is a sorrow I am sure. The blooms are beautiful and made all the more special by the crazy long winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your flowers are beautiful! Have a great day!
    Jeanne-Scottie mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your flowers are beautiful! Have a great day!
    Jeanne-Scottie mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your flowers are so pretty to see!
    Too bad about the pear tree, you'll miss it, for sure.
    I can't wait to see your bouquet flowers blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything looks beautiful Kathy! Growing up we lived in Michigan for a number of years and we had lots of crabapple trees which I remember blooming in the spring. We suffered some loss due to the winter as well. All six of our compacta holly bushes will have to be replaced as they now have big sections which died. Lots of replanting to do in the fall. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your have some really beautiful flowering trees and bushes! Right now we have irises blooming along with the end of the lilac bloom. My peonies are blooming as well as vinca.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! My fuchsias are starting to bloom and my roses are showing their color. Peonies are abundant this year and Rhododendrons are at their height. It's such a wonderful time of the year!
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have such pretty things blooming. Sorry about your trees. I had a few things die on my this winter too - it really was brutal wasn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kathy,
    Your garden looks so beautiful. My sister just lost all of her fruit trees to a fluke hail storm in PA. I am back in NC and am adjusting to a full summer weather. When I left Boson last week it was still cool enough for a sweater.

    Wishing you a beautiful day.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kathy,
    Your garden looks so beautiful. My sister just lost all of her fruit trees to a fluke hail storm in PA. I am back in NC and am adjusting to a full summer weather. When I left Boson last week it was still cool enough for a sweater.

    Wishing you a beautiful day.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. The flowers are sooo pretty...you have such a green thumb. I am not a gardener so I am very envious of you. :))
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)