Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Pumpkin Patch

I have been wanting a big pumpkin patch for several years now.  A patch big enough to satisfy my pumpkin greed would take up a huge area and the thought of either killing all the grass underneath the vines or having a mess of weeds covering 1/4 acre or more has kept me from pursuing the patch of my dreams.  This year we planted a large galvanized tub with pumpkin plants, gave the vine a structure to climb and waited for the magic. 
We got lots of vines, huge showy flowers, and not a single pumpkin.  
Kathy's Cottage Oct 2015
Around mid summer we noticed a healthy plant sprouting from the compost pile.  As it grew to amazing proportions we realized it was a pumpkin, or actually several pumpkin vines.  I must have tossed last years decorative stock on the compost and never thought another thing about it.  This is the harvest from those vines.  A few got eaten by wildlife, and there are still many little tiny pumpkins forming on the vines.  My favorite is the really warty one.   Aren't they wonderful? 
Kathy's Cottage The Pumpkin Patch
Proving once again that God is a far better gardener than I will ever be.  I think these will go back on the compost when I'm done with them.  Maybe I can keep the pumpkin patch going :)

The trees are just beginning to turn here, a few in full glory and a few just starting to change.  The sun is shining today and I need to be outside for a while. I can hear the birds singing and there are apples to pick and make into cider, crabapples to harvest and make into crabapple jelly. It's been another good year for apples and I have to use as many of them as I can.  There is a walk in the state park along a path completely golden with oak trees in our near future, and I can't let the week pass without a fire outside and possibly some s'mores.

How are you enjoying the autumn season?

15 comments:

  1. That's how our pumpkin patch started too. God is amazing. The warty ones are my favorite

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny! God has a sense of humour, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting to have your own pumpkins. I'm jealous.

    My dog and I walked this morning in the cooler temps. We love the change of seasons and hearing the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a wonderful harvest from the compost heap! Since the wee pumpkins cost $1 each, I might have to try the compost heap method myself. It looks beautiful here, Kathy. Hope that you get that bonfire and the walk through the oak woods soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always look forward hearing from you ! Love your pumpkins :D)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun that you had an accidental pumpkin patch! Today I went out and bought a couple of pumpkins and some mums. I was excited this morning that it was in the 50's. However it is 80 degrees right now and feels like summer. I am looking forward to a little cooler days and hope that they stretch out longer here in SC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGOSH, Kathy! How funny is that!!! Doesn't that just figure!!!??? I love that you ended up getting some pumpkins after all! I have always wanted a huge patch, too, and never had one. Maybe next year-ha! Love the warty one! Hope you have a great week. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG that is funny, toss something away and it bring you what you wanted! You did get quite a few pumpkins and I also like the warty looking one. Guess some things like to grow in manure? Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love that! :-) And such a beautiful picture of the amazing miracle of a seed in good soil.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are gorgeous and what a lovely story. Great photos too!
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love every single change that Autumn brings. Your pumpkins are wonderful - and a testament that God has a plan for things to grow and reproduce without our help!
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so heartwarming, Kathy...just the way gardening should be. A little erratic and always surprising!

    I love seeing you post...keep it up!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's amazing! I love that kind of gardening magic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi sweet Kathy! Just came by to see if you'd posted lately and I missed it. Your blog is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your pumpkins are so cute and of vibrant color! I did not grow pumpkins this year because the rain lasted past into pumpkin planting time. I missed growing them. The weather her has gotten nice and cool

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)