Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Autumn in England

It's no secret, visiting England and the British Isles has always been a dream of mine.  I'm not going, but I know someone who is.  I am torn between being incredibly happy for her and wanting to pout in a corner because I'm not going.  Happiness will win out... eventually.

In the mean time, I thought it would be fun to make a list of things that I just adore that might make fabulous souvenirs. You know, Christmas is right around the corner, (and that is the last time I'll be mentioning THAT for a few months!) and vacationing in the land of my dreams makes a great opportunity to get those things that are a little harder to come by on this side of the pond.

There are several European designers that I have always admired.  I came upon some of Emma Bridgewater's beautiful ceramics years and years ago. I love them to pieces. Granted you can get a few pieces on Amazon, but the selection is very limited.  If you have been reading this blog for very long, you also know I have a dish addiction.  There are so many beautiful patterns and designs available, my only problem is storage, but I have a basement with shelves and I am not afraid to fill it. Give me all the crockery please!

This is one of her oldest lines and I loved it the moment I saw it so many years ago.
 The blue and white is gorgeous, and that Daddy mug, so sweet!
 Earl and I seriously love watching the birds at our feeder. We have one that hangs outside our living room window and the sound of their songs and chirps as they eat is so sweet and relaxing.  So it's no surprise that I love these bird mugs.
 But then again, I love my chickens too. Morning coffee in these? Yes!
 Would this fit in a carry on? *sigh*
I know some of these are no doubt discontinued, but I KNOW this traveler knows what I love :)

What is your dream destination? Have you been there?


16 comments:

  1. Oh....my.....goodness - these are all so wonderful! I have a "thing" for dishes, too. Now I'm going to have to start looking for her pieces. My dream destination would probably be New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you! I'd love to go to one of her stores in England. I want the real thing from the real place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks - just so gorgeous. I'm with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned about Emma Bridgewater from Susan Branch's blog! I think her dishes are fun and sweet! I love that chicken mug!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are totally on the same page...I've always wanted to visit England. I love EB, too. Susan Branch influenced me. Along with train rides with a tea kettle and high collared blouses in July. ;-D

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heaven. Do I sound depressed? =D I really have zero desire to travel since 2001. I don't see that changing. If I could just "be there" without the traveling part, I'd choose Great Britain, too. I do love the dishes you've shown. I like so many of the British dish and fabric designers. Hope that your friend brings you something you'll love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post. What a great idea to enjoy what you might like from England until you can travel there. I love English Bone China cups and saucers, teapots, ironstone. I would be delighted with whatever came to me as a gift. I dream of traveling to England and the British Isles but, perhaps, it will always be a dream. Or, may be, it could be a sweet surprise if the chance comes along to see it for myself.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are great dishes! I love the blues the best. I have been to Italy and France. I would love to go back to Italy and tour areas that I haven't seen yet. And if I am really dreaming I would spend another week in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been in love with EB dishes forever...I like her black and whites...and the blues, too.
    Ireland is where I'd love to go....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Drooling! Your mugs are pretty ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to visit England and feel I am a little bit through you! Pretty dishes and I always favor blues. Whenever I find a dishes at thrift store from England I snatch them right up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had not heard of this fabulous china before reading your blog. I love it, especially those bird coffee mugs. I hope "she" brings you a souvenir of one of these items.

    ReplyDelete
  13. do you know you are a NO REPLY emailer..? and that when your name is clicked on your comments to others, it doesn't take one to your blog..? No big deal...just wondering...:)
    i think they just recommend you wax your pretty pumpkins to make them shine..i think the preserving is in the bleach wash and drying 10 days inside a room instead of putting them out in the yard (porch)..I will wait 8 more days, wax them and put them on our steps out front.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Finally finding a free moment to revisit blogs and yours was the first! I'm looking forward to catching up on your old posts I've missed. Love all of these pieces! I'm also a dish/tableware lover and did come home with a number of pieces from our visit to England this spring. While there, we headed out on our last day to an Emma Bridgewater store and sadly it was closed when we arrived. I pressed my face against the glass admiring all of the pieces until my husband finally convinced me that we had to move on to our next destination. Hope to catch it on our next trip and definitely want to visit Burleigh as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a dishaholic, too, Kathy so I adore this line. Gorgeous and fun. I think I will check Amazon and hope to find a few pieces I love. Thanks for the heads-up. Hmmm...Italy :) Deb

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always loved the Black Toast line of those dishes. I guess I am a dish addict also since I love so many patterns in dishes mostly transferware but I do like Emma Bridgewater's line. I want all the Black Toast dishes then I want all her blue and white . Now you know my wish list LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)