Thursday, January 3, 2008

I'm back:>)

I feel like I have awakened from a hibernation of sorts. The entertaining is done, the tree comes down today and my Christmas vacation is extended by at least one more (happy) day! January first we all awakened to 14 inches of fresh snow on the ground which, apparently, hasn't been cleaned up enough for the school buses to run the back roads! YAY! Today was to have been our first day back after Christmas break and now we have today, maybe even tomorrow to get a little bit more done. I begin painting the master bedroom today, it goes from brown (chosen by my darling husband a few years ago) to cream. My daughters are aghast that I would actually paint a room "white" but I have decided I might like the ability to change the look of the room with a change of linens and accessories. It is a very sunny room and I will like the brightness too. I am painting because one of my Christmas gifts from my dear husband is built in bookshelves on either side of a large double window. We are getting rid of a hodge podge of desks and file cabinets where the computer is and replacing them with the shelves and a beautiful handbuilt table (another part of my gift) which should organize and beautify the "office space". I need to paint before he builds the shelves in. It is all part of my quest to organize and beautify the working areas of this small home. I don't think that I buy more than I need, but somehow I find myself in constant need of organizing, sorting, discarding. It makes me wonder if I need to be more discerning in what I buy. I am not a packrat, I throw things away all the time. But it still builds up. Just the other day looking for a band aid, I threw away a large handful of expired over the counter meds. I think I will limit myself to the smallest size available from now on when I buy these things! Something about January makes you look around as you pack up the excess of Christmas and see all the other excesses that need attentuion. I have noticed organizing and cleaning as a theme as I get back to reading everyones blogs! We are all in the same boat. I don't usually make new years resolutions, but i do see the calendar change as a new start. A time to reevaluate what I want to accomplish both personally and project wise. If i can just keep from hibernating for the next two months I will be ok. The early darkness saps my energy and I think anout projects a lot but dont always get to them. So while the sun is shining (although the thermometer says -1.5!) brightly this morning and I have some ambition, off I go to paint. I hope to catch up with all your blogs in the next few days, I have missed so much! I will post improvements when they are done, hopefully soon!:>)

21 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see what you're up to. And glad you get some extra vacation to work on your project. ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think everyone is now coming out of hibernation...or perhaps remaining there for a few more weeks. Glad to hear that you got another day of vacation...nothing better than something unexpected. I too, am getting ready to repaint two walls in our home..one in the living room and one in the family room kitchen. I want to add some drama to my home, so I'm painting two walls a beautiful dark mustard. It's something daring as I usually stick with light colors!
    Happy New Year Ms. Kathy and your family too! Wishing you nothing but joy and happiness in 2008!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautifully written post! I am inspired by you! We need some before and after pictures,ok! Thanks for coming to read my blog... I will be checking on you often!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post. How much fun you will have when you re-do your room.
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathy ~ Your header is adorable. Sounds like your bedroom will turn out very pretty. First day back at school after break so major down time is over. :)
    Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there Kathy! You and I share the same sentiment about discarding things. I think that with the new year, we just want to start fresh and to rid ourselves of all the clutter. I usually get on a roll cleaning out closets, too.

    Your header is precious! Love it! Do share your outcome of the painting and office re-do. Sounds like you have it all planned out and I am sure it will be darling however it all turns out. I hear you about being choosey of what to buy. I was just thinking about that the other day.

    Have a great weekend and stay warm!

    xo
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kathy, oooh 14 inches of snow, amazing! Send some over here will you please, today may reach around 40c or 105F! We are totally with you on the white paint, our new home has all white tones and it's fresh and so easy to accent with colour. Have fun clearing out, can be fun! Please don't hibernate too long :) Jenn and Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  8. Snow!!!
    Not us :(
    The cream bedroom should be really bright and large and fun to decorate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep we got tons of it too! I was so glad to have a sleepy day. We aren't back to school until 1/7 so I'm beginning to feel a little lazy. But I'm sure there'll be plenty to do next week!! Blessings... Polly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi again,
    I thought I left a post and I don't see it....so if I did, you can just delete this one!

    I love snow days! It looks like you have some wonderful plans and I can't wait to see the outcome.
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  11. The snow is beautiful.Im so happy you got a few more days off. I have so much on my mind to do. I need to paint so bad, but I am no good at it and no help. Hope yours turns out lovley.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome out of hibernation, I am still sort of just peeking out.

    2008 is here! Looking forward to lots of fun and inspiration from you!

    xoxo
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the snow. I am so glad you get a little more time to enjoy it's beauty. Make a little snowcream for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too am de-cluttering my home. I usually do that every year when I take down the Christmas decorations. That's when I feel like cleaning closets and junk drawers. I also am careful about what I buy, at least I think I am and then when I start cleaning out there is always stuff to get rid of.
    You bedroom will look fresh and bright, waiting to seeing the finished look...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kathy...your bedroom sounds like it will be very cheery and I like your idea of using accents of color with your light walls.
    I know what you mean about January it like a fresh start. I'm organizing and decluttering too. It kind of liberating to get rid of some of this stuff. Wishing you another snow day. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome back! The start of a new year always makes we want to declutter & organize and clean. I guess I feel its a fresh start for my home as well as for me.I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on your room redo!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the snow picture. Yep, like you I am in a re-organizing and declutter mood. There just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day to get everything done I want to do while the sun shines. xo Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree, re-organizing is the task at hand! Enjoy your projects and stay warm!!!

    Hugs,
    Dena

    ReplyDelete
  19. The snow looks wonderful! If, we got that much snow, we would be shut down for weeks....LOL!

    I am also feeling the urge to reduce and organize. The new paint color sounds great. I like the idea of a basic color that can allow for a variety of accent colors.

    Happy New Year, Kathy!

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Sweet kathy!! Happy new year to you and your family!! Your gifts from hubby sound GORGEOUS!!! How exciting and fun!! I cant wait to see everything finished! You lucky gurl, all these new home projects!! I love it :)

    Hugs,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)