Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Down the Primrose Path

Whew! Just in time, my yearly primrose fix at Home Depot.  Just when it seemed the Polar Vortex might suck me in to it's diabolical, sub-zero plan, these little flowers say, "it's alright, spring is coming! And until it's here we will keep you company."
Such sweet little flowers :>)
 I love these little guys. And even though it is a pitiful 8 degrees outside, the sun is shining brightly and my primroses are here.
 Of course, when they are a measly $1.19 each you have to get more than one.
It's the law.
And then you have to waste most of the morning photographing them in all their sweet glory.
I'm not sure I have enough.
 
The kitchen project is gathering steam. I currently have three large slabs of Ikea butcher block sitting on the dining room table.  The new dishwasher gets delivered Thursday.  We are picking out lighting, or trying to. The amazing number of choices that are available boggle my mind.
They make my head tired. I'm pretty sure I will just end up choosing something, anything, that is acceptable and that will be that.  I love to freshen up my home, but some things just aren't up my alley, and lighting is one of them.
So this is just the beginning. I feel confident that there won't be a reveal next week, or the week after that, (or the week after that...)but it can't take too long because I won't get my dining room back until it's done, and unlike many of you who have eat in kitchens, we use the dining room every day. 
One last question, if any of you have used waterlox for a wood countertop how bad is the smell? We will be fabricating and finishing the counter in the dining room, and with the polar vortex lurking outside we won't be able to open the windows. Any suggestions?
 
 



17 comments:

  1. First, I should apologize for the polar vortex. I announced my retirement from public education and as all my colleagues say, Hell froze over. Second, love the flowers. They are so cheerful!

    I cannot wait to see photos of your ikea kitchen. I have been looking to make a new cabinet for my kitchen and was thinking about using ikea stuff.

    I love lighting. If you want someone to bounce ideas off of, I volunteer. Just email me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure what Waterlox is. We have wood counter tops and use a teak oil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy
    I'm so...excited about your new kitchen! I can't wait to see it done.
    But I do know these projects end up taking twice as long as we expect....
    Your sweet primroses make me want to run out and buy some right now!
    They seem to add life to the long Winter days while we are shut in!
    I don't know if it helps, but we used linseed oil on our wooden counter. I don't recall it being too stinky or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't for the life of me keep primrose or violets alive. I've gotten caught up in the price only to feel like a black-thumb failure weeks later.

    I didn't know you were getting butcher block counters! I'm so envious. I wanted those so bad a few years ago but hubby won out. I hear you on the lights. To some they are a big deal. All I cared about were the pendants and the light over my sink.

    The big reveal will come soon enough. I just want to see you living in some normalcy again! :)

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's pretty stinky. Gives me an instant headache. Have fun, Kathy. Those red primroses are so cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your sweet primroses! Now I want to run out and get some. I love wood counter tops! They are going to be awesome. I don't know what Waterlox is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These colors are so refreshing for this cold season!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love primroses! I usually buy mine from Horrocks Market, I used to work there, but it is an hour away and I have not looked to see if they have any yet. I don't think I usually buy this early though. Then I transplant down by our pond and they come back most years. Last year they may have gotten flooded out though from all the rains. I cannot help with the Waterlox not sure what it is but am sure looking forward to seeing your end results!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had to laugh when we read that the polar vortex was "targeting" certain states. Like it was out to get them LOL!

    The primroses are so cute with their fabric covered pots! I haven't been to HD in a while so I don't know if our's has them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Primrose love! They are such sweet little flowers, just like you said. They should arrive in my local grocery store any day now--they do seem to be a January thing. So pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love the way you potted these Primrose! So...you are doing a kitchen remodel with Ikea cabinets? I SOOOO want to do this, I have a small one, so it needs to be reconfigured.....will look forward to photos of the progress..:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK - I need to go shopping for some of that sweetness - Primroses. They are just lovely! Can't wait to see your new kitchen progress!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kathy,

    Oh your photography is so wonderful. I love how you have your hearts spilling into your text. Those primrose certainly can brighten any white snowy day. I used to have a butcher block table and as I recall they wanted you to use the oil in a well ventilated area.

    Wishing you a wonderful day.

    karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kathy,

    Oh your photography is so wonderful. I love how you have your hearts spilling into your text. Those primrose certainly can brighten any white snowy day. I used to have a butcher block table and as I recall they wanted you to use the oil in a well ventilated area.

    Wishing you a wonderful day.

    karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love primroses. I remember when we lived in Canada it was always a treat to buy them this time of year. They were always at the grocery store and so cheap and the color was so cheerful in the middle of a dreary winter.
    I don't have the same need for color here in NC because there is still lots of green even in winter. Rhondi xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I saw primroses yesterday and thought of you! I think I need to go back and get a few to brighten things a bit and to remind me that Spring really WILL come! Can't wait to see your new kitchen. What fun it will be to have it finished and ready to use again.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)