Thursday, May 14, 2015

Summer Entertaining

Well there you go, it's been a couple weeks since I updated and my daughter finally messaged me wanting to know what is going on. Nothing really. Pure laziness and work. Those seem to contradict each other but when you're busy sometimes you lose your mojo for creative pursuits.  It has been a busy time, nothing fun or exciting either, just funerals (Three!) and (extended family) surgeries and the day to day of life.  Sometimes you just need some time to catch up.

One thing I have been doing, is thinking about the upcoming season of entertaining.  We love to entertain in the spring and summer.  The yard and garden are so much bigger than the house and a cookout is fun for everyone.  As much as we love to have people over, we almost have to push ourselves to make the commitment.  Are you like that?  I'm going to tell you a secret, Earl and I are both dyed in the wool introverts. We love people, we love cooking for people a lot! But after a lot of interaction we need time to ourselves to refuel. It's a conundrum for sure, but we really do feel strongly about community, and friendship, and loving people so we try to schedule something on a regular basis that brings friends and people we would like to know better, together.
I wanted to share one of our new favorite recipes. I found it on Pinterest, of course, and it is not only quick and easy, it is easy to throw an extra chicken breast or can of beans in and stretch it for a crowd.  This is a Mediterranean chicken dish that has chicken, cannellini beans, kalamata olives, marinated artichoke hearts, grape tomatoes and basil with fresh mozzarella melted on top. It is fabulous!  Oven to table it takes no more than 1/2 hour and if you wanted to stretch it even more you could put it over pasta. Serve with a salad and you're done.
Here is the link: Mediterranean Chicken.  What is your favorite way to entertain? Indoors or out?

9 comments:

  1. I'm a bit of an introvert, myself. We also love to entertain but we have to schedule it, plan it out, clean up, and then we completely enjoy it. That chicken dish looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. John is open and friendly and I am the introvert. I loved how you described the knowing it's important to practice hospitality and, on the other hand, the absolute need for time for yourselves. I prefer to entertain indoors...no surprises with weather or insects that way. Thanks for the link! That's a pretty dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that sounds wonderful! We love to entertain too. I love small groups of 6 or less. Mr. Comforts and I are both extroverts. But I will say, that after a few weeks of entertaining. I look forward to peace and quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum-m-m! I'm going to try that recipe. I like simple. And fast! How do I like to entertain? Simple - nothing fancy. I learned a long time ago to focus on the relationships that grow stronger instead of the food and the setting. But you'd better believe I 'fuss' over the food and the setting a lot before the friends arrive. Love to entertain outside.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree! I love to have people over but making the commitment is the hardest part!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks delicious. I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe has everything I love, all in one dish. Will definitely be making this. As far as entertaining, I know that if you lived by me I would definitely invite you over - kindred spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure does look good...it's lunch time here and I need to go see if I can find something that looks THIS good...pretty sure I won't have any luck finding much other than a ham sandwich...lol
    Been busy around here, too,...lots of end-of-school affairs to attend..a little work around the yard and pool area...trying to get container plants to grow...lots of rain and wind...but, thankfully, no tornadoes here.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are pretty much bbq type people when we entertain. I also have a few other things I make when we can't cook outside. We love to entertain too...and I use that term loosely. We are the kind of people who call up friends and say hey we are cooking...y'all come over. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)