Thursday, June 25, 2015

I ♥ Estate Sales

You may be wondering what I have been up to this past week, or perhaps you haven't missed me at all, it is summer after all, and we do have lots of fun things to do and less time to share them. At least that is my excuse!
I haven't just been busy in the garden, although I did spend most of the evening weeding and primping the garden last night. There is so much to be done and it has been hard to keep up between rainy days. I couldn't bear to take the clover out of the sides of this old basket of marigolds though. It just seemed so pretty and charming to me. I guess I like my gardens with a touch of wildness :)
 But on to the subject at hand, this is as much of my bedroom as you are going to see today.  You see, I was playing hookey at some estate sales this morning instead of cleaning.  What can I say? It is summer and some hookey must be played! I'm so glad I did though! I found these two old quilts, all hand stitched and in patterns I have been coveting but simply don't have the skill / patience to tackle myself. 
 The one with the large appliqued flowers , (does anyone know the pattern name of this?) is full / queen size. It has a couple teeny holes but is otherwise in lovely condition.  I have seen these quilts for years and have always wanted one. Now I have one!
 The grandmother's flower garden quilt, Oh be still my heart!, is a twin size, but I don't care at all. Some day I will no doubt have grandchildren and they can snuggle under this beautiful quilt when they come to see us. Or I'll use it on the end of the bed or in the living room.
 Here they are together, I am thrilled as can be. They were a whopping $45 each, which I will admit, I almost never spend that much while estate saleing, but I couldn't buy the fabric for that amount, let alone tackle these patterns! I feel like I got a steal of a deal :)
 I also found this green depression glass butter dish for .75,so pretty!
And this enamelware pitcher with the graceful handle was .50   Cute farmhouse style accessories for a song. The pitcher is sitting next to an old brown bowl that I scored for $1 earlier this spring. 
I also got several boxes of old buttons for under $5. When I say boxes, I don't mean shoe box size. This was the mother lode of buttons!  We took a quick look through them and ...well, that's a whole other post ;)

Have you been to any good sales lately?

25 comments:

  1. Wellllll....all I can say is you made quite a HAUL! A job well done! 45.00 for the quilts is an excellent
    fetching price and I love the ones you acquired. You are right, you could not make them for that price.
    LOVING your farmhouse pitcher. I love estate sales! Especially those that have awesome finds for a song of a price.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilts are just lovely, you couldn't have left them behind!
    I think your plant might not be Clover, but Oxalis which is a nasty little creeper and will take over if you don't watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, the thing I don't understand is why I NEVER find things like this!!! That green depression glass butter dish is the best thing ever. Oh how I love it! :-) And I'm a sucker for enamelware of any kind! And old quilts. Everything is perfect. What a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You got lucky today. I really like everything you found. You should play a little hooky more often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What luck - and yes, those quilts were a steal of a deal! All of your "finds" were! I LOVE that depression glass butter dish. The enamel pitcher looks like it's in perfect condition. Wish I lived closer so we could go "saleing" together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would call that appliqué pattern a rose of Sharon. There are many variations of rose of Sharon patterns. Those are lovely 1930's fabrics. I love the Nile green in them. What a find for the price. I want to go play hooky with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely a Rose of Sharon. A friend offered to sell me hers about 8 years ago for $400. Yours was a steal! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! I was going to say Rose of Sharon too! You really got a very good deal with those lovely quilts.
    I am thinking of going to some garage sales this weekend. I usually only go out once a summer. We'll see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd say you struck gold, Kathleen! I've seen a $300. price tag on quilts like yours.
    I love all of the treasures you've found. Don't worry about blogging, keep enjoying your summer while you can! I am.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You found some FABULOUS bargains, Kathy! The quilting is wonderful!!! Love the butter dish, too. That was a real steal! Enjoy your summer- that is what I am trying to do, too. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE your two *new* quilts. Yes, the first is Rose of Sharon. You and I would never be able to go to estate sales together, dear friend! We would both want the same things and that wouldn't work at all! You found great pieces and the prices were incredible. I haven't been to many sales this year because we are downsizing and cleaning out so much. Now I think I'm motivated to go look at someone's treasures to see what I can find.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oops..lost a comment...

    Love everything! Those quilts are stunning and the Farmhouse style treasures are making me jealous.

    (I always look for you!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those quilts are wonderful. I love the greens and pinks in them. I also love your other finds. I have a enamel pitcher very similar to yours. I have not been estate shopping for quit a while. Your post has made me want to go out hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You scored big girl! Love those quilts and I would of snatched the up to....gorgeous, simply gorgeous. The enamel pitcher is really cute. PS...can I follow you around at the estate sales you go to?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love everything! Wish I could tag along!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your beautiful quilts...I never pass one up, no matter the size. Love that pitcher and it looks amazing by the beautiful brown bowl.
    OOO, and I love the clover ....:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous quilts!! You got a great deal on them. Jealous. Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh. That. Butter. DISH!!!! OH MY!! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Kathy,
    I just wandered by and had to see more when I saw your sweet heart banner tutorial.

    You found great treasures and at a steal. I love treasure hunting but I usually go to thrift stores or yard sales to hunt. Can you believe I've never been to an estate sale? Not sure why I haven't but now that I've seen your treasures I am itchin' to go to one :-) I just love, love, love the enamelware pitcher.

    Wishing you a wonderful 4th of July weekend.

    Hugs and Kisses,
    ❤️Ana

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love thrift stores and charity shops, yard sales, estate sales and garage sales. Lovely finds!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my your truly found some lovely treasures! Those quilts are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the quilts that you found Kathy. What a score. I have made quilts, so know that you got a great bargain considering the time it takes to make one. Your other finds are also great. I have a love-hate relationship with estate sales. If you are interested I wrote about it here. http://lakelurecottagekitchen.com/?s=Estate+Sale. I think you would agree.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Coming back by to say thanks for stopping by...always so glad to see you.
    I am looking for a great basket to plant flowers and clover in....:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the quilts really sweet and love that green butter dish what a steal for sure i love green glass.. Hookey its ok at time lol with love Janice

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)