Wednesday, June 22, 2016

My Happy Place

At just over 1100 sq. feet, you might say we are house poor.  I love our little cottage and it suits our needs pretty well so I'm not complaining, but sometimes you just long for a little space.  Where we are rich as kings is our yard.  Five wooded acres with a stream running through. About 3 acres are woods, but we have a glorious 2 acres to spread out in warm weather.  One of the best things we have done over the years is make this old shed foundation our raised garden.
 When we moved here 35 years ago, this was the site of a tumble down shed that pretty quickly finished its tumble, may it R.I.P.  What was left was a concrete foundation that we didn't quite know what to do with. We used to have a big garden just past this, but I was not fond of gardens and the work they entailed, it was too far from the house to care for easily and eventually we gave up.  But we really do like to grow things. We eventually looked at that foundation and decided raised beds and brick paths would be a perfect use for that area and would cover the eyesore.
 We have loved it ever since.  If I could give one piece of advice to anyone who gardens it would be to use raised beds. They are So much easier to care for!
 This is the latest addition to the garden area, My brother gave me an old cedar birdhouse that was in pieces. I loved it but it sat for several years waiting for repair. Earl pieced it back together and added it to this post in the corner of the garden. I had planned to paint it but I kind of love the rustic, weathered cedar. I can always paint it later if I choose to. For now I'm enjoying it as is.
 This $3 galvanized tub and an inexpensive solar fountain is a fun addition too.  I love the sound of the water.
 The nasturtiums are bursting with color! I always rim my veggie beds with flowers. These are planted around carrots and beets. It looks so beautiful!
 The bed behind is filled with beans and basil and rimmed with marigolds, beyond that are the peas and petunias. :)
 Our first harvest, sugar snap peas.
And here is the garden lit up at night. I love the string lights and we love to eat dinner out here listening to the water in the fountains and watching the birds at the feeders. It is so relaxing and a perfect end to the day.  This Friday we will host our first big barbecue of the season, I can't wait! I'll let you know how it goes. Do you have an outdoor happy place?

26 comments:

  1. I agree with you that raised beds are the way to go. I always lined my raised beds with marigolds because it helped keep the bugs away. Love your galvanized tub fountain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet place you have!

    Have a wonderful time with your bbq on Friday.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great space! You've made it so pretty and a place that anyone would love to spend time in! Enjoy your gathering on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kathy, I would much rather have a smaller house and more space outside. You've made it so beautiful out there. It's very welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your back-yard is gorgeous, Kathy. A small home on a large lot is just perfect. I love the idea of surrounding the veggie plants with flowers. It looks really nice and cheery. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic space! Your gardens look amazing. You have really created a delight. I do have an outdoor space, but with the groundhog situation I have going, it's not pleasant to be out there just now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely outdoor space and gardens. Love the night lights!
    warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy...I never knew you had such a 'country paradise'! How I envy you!! Everything is so pretty and I simply love the picket fence and nasturtiums are one of my faves. I would like raised bed to replace my old garden but I'm afraid it takes more time than I have in the summer with the lakehouse. Good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely to have land that you can wander in. I too have raised beds and they are so much easier. Your garden looks so pretty at night.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your yard & gardens look lovely! It looks like you have a wonderful place for relaxing with a good book or sharing good times with friends. Summers in Illinois are so hot that I can hardly stand to be outside at all. I've lived here 10 years and I'm still not used to it...this it the time of year that I really miss New York!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pretty veggie garden, Kathy! My gardens are my happy place also. I have several, but the herb garden is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a wonderful garden! You're lucky to have all that space - here in California we tend to be way too close to our neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE your yard and garden! It was an ingenius thought to put your raised beds on the foundation of the old shed. Now I wish I had an old shed to tear down and use under my raised beds. My sweetheart built wonderful raised beds several years ago and they are wonderful! I love your lights and the flowers you add at the edges of your garden beds. I don't have a happy place in the backyard right now. We're working on making a place that used to be happy much happier than it has been for awhile. You know how life comes along and takes you away from some things? That's what happened so now we're trying to make our backyard a happy place once again where we can relax and find retreat from the cares of the day.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  14. My outdoor happy place is YOUR backyard. When I'm there, I'm always having a good time, with family I love.

    Besides, my backyard currently smells a little of skunks...somehow not charming at all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your raised beds are great! I can easily see why this is your happy place. It is especially enchanting with the lights.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your way of thinking. You have done an amazing job making it all so welcoming. I had never heard of a solar fountain and will now be on the look out for one. Such an inspiring visit!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, my goodness! Your raised beds are amazing.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Gardening Kathy. :) ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. Blooming beauty in every single corner, thank you very much for sharing this with us today at the garden party.
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love how you surrounded your vegetables with pretty flowers. Your beds look wonderful. The whole area looks like a nice place to go at the end of the day. We only have a side yard and a small front yard so I like to sit in the back of my yard under the huge pine tree.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You certainly do have a happy place! I agree that gardening from raised beds is much easier. Hubby built a raised area behind our rose garden for veggies. Every year I plan on planting Nasturtiums and every year I forget. lol! I usually do plant marigolds by the garden to help keep the bugs away. We just built a she shed and I have space on one side for a raised bed. I want to grow pumpkins. Thanks for sharing with the garden party.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your cottage garden is simply beautiful! You have put much thought and work into making it a haven! thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beyond beautiful! You are right that you are rich as kings with that glorious yard.

    I adore the birdhouse, and like you, I love the sound of water. Your little fountain is a delightful touch.

    I'm visiting from June's Garden Party with Friends.

    Blessings,
    Patti @ Embracing Home

    ReplyDelete
  24. OOO, it all looks sooo beautiful...and such a relaxing place...I MUST have a solar water fountain....will check into that.

    ReplyDelete
  25. how did you make your fountain?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your sugar snap peas look so yummy! Thank you for linking up to the garden party. Your post was truly like a lovely rose.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)