Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Cupcakes, Projects and Fun Finds

Is it still January? Hmmm, well here are a few things I accomplished so far in this warm/cold/wet/icy month.  The weather has been all over the place so far with ice storms and a flooded yard.  I am praying that the basement doesn't flood from the downpours we have been having.  When the ground is frozen like this there is nowhere for the water to go. So far so good.

When it's cold outside I want to bake.  Chocolate cupcakes with rich chocolate frosting and a sprinkling of stars brighten things up nicely.  Who else thinks winter was made for baking?
 Earl knows that these grey cloudy skies and the barren landscape can only mean one thing, cheer Kathy up with flowers.  He found these beauties at the grocery store.  Cream roses with the barest peachy pink blush in the center of the petals, mixed with white lilies.  This is just one of the reasons I will keep him forever, believe me, there are a million more :)
 To counterbalance the cupcakes and other winter baking, I am looking for new soup recipes.  I found this Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup on The Café Sucre Farine and it is a keeper!  I have already made it twice. My suggestion? Double the lemon ;)  This is a soup you can make in the crock pot, but I had some frozen cooked chicken and home made broth so I made it stove top lickety split.  It has a bit of Turmeric in it which is supposed to be a great anti inflammatory.  From the same website I also made the Beef Bourguignon Soup recipe and it was amazing.  Check out her website, so far everything I have made from her recipes is a keeper.
 And lastly, I think I mentioned we are in the process of buying a newfangled flat screen tv.  Everything around here is a process,  but first I had to move a large book shelf, which meant I had to find a new home for an extra dresser AND the old entertainment center that holds the old tv.  Now you know why everything takes so long, all that shuffling.  At any rate, the things that need to go have been spoken for and will be picked up soon, and when that happens I wanted something to go under the new tv.  I actually stepped into a furniture store and then stepped right back out.  A very poorly constructed console or server for under the tv would have been $1200.  If I had loved it I could have paid it, but after years of buying well made cast offs for a pittance I couldn't see shelling out that kind of cabbage for something that I thought was basically a piece of junk.  So off to the local antique emporium I went, and found the perfect solid mahogany sideboard for a small percentage of the junky new piece.  This server cost $250.  It's solid, I like the lines, the swoopy drawer design, the cabinet doors that came with a skeleton key (love!) and the price. 
It is cooling its heels in the dining room until the other items go to their new home. I told Earl that I reserve the right to paint it, because...
source

source
I do love painted furniture and I might be leaning toward a pretty green.  Making my mind up is the hard part. 

We are also still working on the back entry refresh.  My darling husband insisted on doing some of the more heinous scraping and wallpaper removal.  I had peeled off the top layer of the old paper and the paper backing was left. The backing was tight and smooth and my first thought was to paper right over it, because #lazy.  It might have worked but we decided to do it the right way, (sigh).  SO Earl spent a recent Saturday on the ladder scraping.  My knight in shining armor.  I am working on getting the old green trim painted sparkling white and my wallpaper came this week, (yay!!!!) so I am hoping it will be finished in a couple more weekends.

That's my January so far.  Lest you think I am some kind of white tornado around here, I spend a good portion of my days sitting on the sofa with a cup of coffee trying to work up enough energy to get anything done.  Are you working on indoor projects too?


14 comments:

  1. Hello Kathy! We have been working on projects around here too. I am just getting back into blogging after a much too long break and so I have done, one too many, posts on a guest room. I would love for you to stop by and take a look. I know all too well about trying to remove stubborn wallpaper backing...quite a few of the rooms in our home had multiple layers of wallpaper. Good luck with that! Those cupcakes look amazing by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost keeled over seeing that last photo as I emailed it to a friend just this morning. I like your new-to-you piece and I will just have to trust your instincts about painting it. I know that Earl does. Speaking of that guy...great selection of beautiful roses. Simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your busy January makes me feel like a slacker! I'd say Earl is a gem -- keep him, just so long as he brings those pretty flowers! I'm just waiting for my TV to die so I can get a flat screen. Love the various options! Good luck with it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh- Baking is my biggest downfall. I am trying NOT to bake so I don't eat sugar! lol Looks like you got a lot done- and even had a helper for some of it. I hope you show us your newly papered area when you are done.
    I'd say keep that old boy. Anyone that brings you white roses gets my nod of approval. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, even though I have not met Earl in person, I know I love him and he is a keeper for sure! Those cupcakes look amazing....send me some :-). I love your new furniture piece and I can see it painted. I love both red and green! I have been a sloth here because A: I am in a rental, and B: I am in a rental. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Winter baking is the worst...happens non-stop around here! It tastes so yummy, but it does nothing good for my figure. ;) The flowers are gorgeous. Next to tulips, white roses are my favs! Enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Much better value to get a good piece of pre loved furniture than a tacky badly made new one. Love your elegant sideboard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm the one Vee sent that photo of the green cabinet! I adore it! I love painted furniture, and really that red would be my personal choice, as I am a red kind of girl! I have a dry sink that I may have to paint, you know. Its been calling my name!

    I'm hoping you'll show us your refresh when its finished. I love inspiration.

    Oh, and I made cupcakes that are on my eating plan last evening! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cupcake looks very good! I am trying not to eat any treats until valentines day :) Love the piece you bought!
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Swooning over the green painted piece! Looking forward to seeing what you choose. We ran into the same problem when we switched over to the flat screen and looked for a tv stand. We opted for a painted piece as well. Still working on our MB sitting room over here. The wiring is all done, we have walls again and the painting is complete. Working on an IKEA hack now for the entertainment unit. Wish I had a one of your cupcakes right now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had me at that mouth-watering cupcake! Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...you are a great cupcake maker/decorator!! And the dresser...you did a wonderful job, Kathy...seriously!

    I've been a sloth. I try but this weather makes me want to sleep late, read, and do pretty much nothing! I try to do errands in one day and then I'm exhausted. Life...

    Jane xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love everything in your photos, and your soup looks delicious! Your header is stunning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, I love that green! I know that whatever you do will be gorgeous.

    That chicken orzo soup sounds delish and would probably fit right in with Weight Watchers. Yes, we are all counting points at our house.

    Those cupcakes look so yummy and pretty too.

    Keep it up with that process. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)