Wednesday, December 26, 2007

A fresh start. That is what the day after Christmas always feels like to me. The calm after the storm so to speak. Not that Christmas is a storm in a bad way but there is pressure to get everything done and make it magical for the people you live with. Today, it's all new, bright sunshine, cold but no wind, no agendas, no long to do lists, no pressure. Ahhhh, just the warm glow of happy family and a successful Christmas celebration and a New Year with fresh beginnings to look forward to. I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. We have one more family party this weekend, one that we always look forward to. We don't exchange gifts so there is nothing to do but make something yummy to take and visit with the extended family, which in this family is a bit silly because we are so close there is no "extension" to it. Today we went out to lunch at a delicious new restaurant with our girls, a little clean up, a movie and the book store tonight (just to hang out with coffee and the latest magazines.) Tomorrow, I am having a Johhny Depp film festival with my niece and just putting my feet up (eat your heart out Mrs G!) On another note, in all the hullabaloo of Christmas the winter solstice was completely ignored. I am not heavily into the solstice or anything but it bears mention that from now on the days are getting LONGER instead of shorter every day and for a sunshine junkie like me that is a BIG deal! Yay! So on that note, I will leave you to go enjoy the sunshine and the feeling of freedom that this day after Christmas brings. I hope you all enjoy your new beginnings too!

15 comments:

  1. Kathy -

    Thank you for stopping by my blog and for leaving your sweet comment. It is always good to hear from you. I am feeling so relaxed today - I identify with everything you said. Slowing the pace is good and looking ahead with renewed faith and trust is where I'm headed now. I love the little trees and buttons. I might have to copy that idea sometime. It would be cute in my sewing room if I ever get organized enough to decorate it for the holidays!

    Enjoy your movie fest and your family. And the sunshine.

    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a calming photograph Kathy!! The day after the "storm"...I understand this totally!! It's a holiday here in Canada..Boxing Day which means doing nothing (though many brave the sales!!)...though it feel somewhat "flat". My guys are watching hockey on tv and perhaps we'll go to a movie tonight.

    Hope your Christmas was everything and more..and a Depp festival sounds VERY exciting!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Kathy! We could not agree more, perfectly said!! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and we look forward to 2008 and a wonderful year ahead! And a Depp festival, oh my, count us in!!!! Jenn and Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I don't know WHY you think of Mrs. G when you mention Johnny hehehe. We just finished watching Finding Neverland!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathy,
    What a pretty picture on your post! I too love the day after Christmas. The whole week in fact. It feels relaxing and like it is time to think about the coming year. We stopped at Barnes and Noble today, for latte's and magazines too :-).
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh Johnny D! I watched Sleepy Hollow yesterday and I think we'll go see Sweeney Todd this weekend. We're off to B&N today to hang out. It's nice to finally be able to relax!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did someone say Johnny Depp? I'll be over later with my popcorn and sleeping bag.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kathy!
    The day after Christmas I always feel exactly the same way - a fresh start with all the busy-ness behind us. Time to relax! I absolutely LOVE your white trees & buttons - so sweet & just lovely!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Kathy, what a beautiful picture, and a beautiful post, too! What a lovely feeling to just relax...

    Have a happy, happy new year!
    xoxo,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. A Johnny Depp film festival??!! What a great idea! The next time my sister is in town....

    Like you, I love these quiet post Christmas days with no cooking (we're still working on leftovers), no boredom (the boys are busy with their new toys), and no housework (how can we clean when they're toys everywhere!) Enjoy these peaceful days. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kathy, Your New Years banner is so pretty and the bottle brush trees look very wintery...I like the buttons they are setting on.
    I like a calm day after Christmas too. I enjoyed the tree, listening to music and reading a new book. It was nice! Have a Happy New Year. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am wishing you and your's a very Blessed and Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so thankful that God doesn't expect me to be something different on January 1st! And that His mercies are new each morning. Blessings... Polly

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful display...and so creative!

    KJ

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)