Thursday, September 7, 2017

Back to Black

Not much has happened around here in the past few weeks. Summer is winding down and I can feel myself winding down a bit with it.  As the days get shorter, and colder and darker I always find the changes a bit hard to take.  I'm a sunshine girl and getting less always drains me a bit.  So it was time for a little bit of a change around here.  I had been considering painting this teeny little wall in my kitchen for a few weeks. First, I had to think it to death.  Do you do that? Second guess, hmmm and haw, wonder if you'll like it?  I do that and then I always come to the conclusion that it's a small wall and I can always paint over it.  I would waste a lot less brain power if I could just jump straight to that conclusion and get to it.  I like it, a lot...for now.  For this season it just feels cozy. It makes that wall pop and doesn't really seem to darken the whole kitchen into a cave, which was another one of my fears.  In the Spring I may decide it's too dark. The only thing that stays the same is that everything changes.
 Within a few days I had decided to go full out Fall on this wall.  Something about the black, and then I got these brilliant sunflowers at the Farmers Market and found that old graphic I did several years ago in the basement, (must clean basement), and it all kind of came together.  One of the things I like is how the black wall ties in with the black on the stove, and see that sweet mosaic heart holding my aprons? It has a black and white checkerboard trim around the outside and that goes with the black too. That little peg is from my sweet friend Penny at Enjoying the Simple Things and I think of her each time I see it. It's something I will never tire of. :)
 I also refilled the front door basket with some Mackenzie Child inspired goodies.  It was fun going to the new Hobby Lobby in town with a friend and finding all the elements.  I think the basket may need painting though.....hmmmm.
 The garden is winding down, much to my sorrow. I am babying it along but as the nights get cooler and the days get shorter I am afraid my dear garden's days are numbered.  I had a fabulous basil harvest so far and have frozen about 10 cups of pesto for those cold winter days when I need a shot of something that smells like summer.  Some will go to my daughter for her freezer. There is more than enough to share.
The zinnias are spectacular this year too.  I purchased some called thumbelina that were supposed to get 6" tall, they are more like 18 inches, but I'm not complaining. I love zinnias so much, I don't even care that they crowded out the zucchini.

Nights have been in the 40's and highs have been in the 60's here for the past week, Fall is definitely here!  Is it creeping where you are too?   Praying for those who are not enjoying the best of Autumn, Dallas, the fires out west and now hurricane Irma bearing down on Florida. So many friends and family in these areas.  My heart goes out to them and I will keep praying for safety and help.







17 comments:

  1. It feels as if the entire country is groaning under the weight of these disasters. Used to be that I didn't know people from all over. Bloggers don't get off so easily once friendships are developed.

    Oh you have described the weather conditions in my corner perfectly.

    You had me worried there for a minute as you began your discussion of the newly-painted wall. My brain zeroed in on words like dark and death. I had to stop and really pay attention...yes, it does read cozy to me as well. I worried that with your being a "sunshine" girl that it would be a problem. I don't think it will as it also reads cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was on another blog and saw your link. I didn't think you were blogging anymore! Well, here I am. I love the black wall! If I had more light, I'd love to paint one wall black.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Zinnias are spectacular! And I like the wall too.
    Autumn has arrived too quickly here, and the garden is definitely winding down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful green your garden..

    Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love the black wall. It makes your pretty things pop! I don't think you'll tire of that for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the black wall !!! Perfect choice!!!!! Garden is still gorgeous !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi!Love your post.Love your black with sunflowers,so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only zinnias that came up this year are orange, which is fine, but I so miss that bright pink and the other colors! I'll have to get some more seeds! They are a fun and cheery flower in the garden.

    I adore, yes adore, your black wall! Its great! And so many colors will really pop against it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your black wall! It really does 'pop' and the way you've decorated it for Fall is great. That little chair is darling. My dear, little had a chair much like it and I hadn't decided if I would keep it. Seeing yours makes me think I'd better hang on to it! You always inspire me.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know I'd trade you a bit of that cool weather for a dab of our heat out here. I love the black wall, I see color popping out in the springtime and you loving it right through the red, white and blue of summer. Thumbelina zinnias are one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would never have the guts to do that in my kitchen and it looks so incredible in yours!

    I'm not ready for fall -- taking down the summer decs now and will get out fall (but no pumpkins till October!). Just not ready for it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kathy. The black wall looks great and I love how things pop against the black. Your new door decor is just the perfect thing for fall. I am a big fan of Mackenzie Childs and like how you added some elements like their style.You've inspired me to put something new on our front door. Right now the wreath I have is very tired looking! we are having fall weather now which is a welcome relief after the heat of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kathy, I'll try this again...
    I happen to love the black wall very much. The print with the moon looks great against the black, and moon faces are my very favorite!
    I have always enjoyed your decor style...
    Happy transition into Fall. 🌻🍁🍂

    ReplyDelete
  15. Was quickly skimming through Instagram the other day when the photo of your dark wall popped up. I immediately stopped to admire it. I absolutely love it. The first photo with the green wreath and the wire basket with the dark backdrop is gorgeous, not to mention the contrast with the rug. So pretty! Enjoy the waning days of your summer garden. I think it's time to pick the remainder of my basil and make some pesto.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love, love the black and that little darling chair, too. I am also a sunshine girl and the winter is absolutely dreadful here, but that wall will be a great backdrop for some fun and colorful pops! If spring shows up and you're done with it, well, there's always paint, but in the meantime, how pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. so pretty.. I love the black wall, contrast really well with white cabinets..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)