Monday, February 12, 2018

The Slipcover


I am finally posting the love seat slip cover I finished last week.  This is the first time I have attempted a slip cover and although it isn't perfect, I am pretty happy with it.  I am especially happy that the project is over!

I will say, getting it done entailed a great deal of pacing, stress eating, procrastination and anxiety.  Just because I attempt these big projects does not mean I am filled with confidence.   I have learned to do things scared.  But it isn't easy!  I took small bites, and it helped that the door behind the love seat holds my sewing / craft room so it was close to the machine.   The next thing I need to find is a more colorful oriental rug.  I bought this beige one after putting in the wood floors. I thought it would be a good neutral.  After this project I am at my neutral limit.  I also pretty much hate this rug now, so the search is on.
I decided to go neutral with the furniture so I could change the accessories and pillow colors with the season. I am notoriously fickle when it comes to decorating. I like so many styles and colors. I need something I can change easily.  These green pillow covers are feeding my need for green right now, (we just got a foot of snow this past weekend!) but I plan to add some more bright colors for Spring.

 This is a corner of the other side of the room.  We found the library table at a yard sale and it was piled with old clothes.  Earl asked if it was for sale and they showed us the $90 price tag and then offered it to us for $75. I couldn't get it to the car fast enough.  It is in perfect condition, and came with a glass top. I have always loved these things and this one has some really pretty details.

The sign was made by my youngest daughter for me for Christmas a few years ago, I love it! And the Boston fern came in from the porch when it got cold outside.  It is a very messy plant, but I am so glad I have this lush green fern inside for the winter!  This time of year I need real, live, green things.
The fluffy furry pillow covers and pom pom throw were Christmas gifts from my girls this year and they are so soft and fun, but they are about to get packed away for some fresh Spring covers.  I'll look forward to getting them out again and enjoying the softness and texture they bring to the living room again next winter.

The curtains are tablecloths I ordered online and used clips to hang them. They are actually the perfect length for curtains right out of the package and add a nice shot of intense color.  And since I didn't spend a fortune on them (about $12!) I won't feel bad if I change them out later for something  else.  I did tell you I am fickle when it comes to decorating right?

I hope you are all having a great Valentines week.  Do you know this February marks my 11th year blogging?  I can't believe I have lasted that long!  A big thank you to all of you who have visited an commented, many of you have been friends for the entire 11 years and I treasure those friendships and the encouragement I have found here so much!  Thank you for hanging with me and giving me love, encouragement and support all these years. It means so much. 💖💖💖

Happy Valentines Day to you all!

12 comments:

  1. Kathy, that's a wonderful accomplishment and it looks fabulous! You should feel pretty proud of that! Eleven years of blogging is pretty remarkable, too and three cheers and congratulations. I'm so glad I discovered you.

    Did you get slammed with the snow this weekend? We're digging out a bit, and I think it ended up being around 14 inches in several days worth. But the sky is gorgeous today and life is good! Hope all is well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 11th Blogiversary! I enjoy each and every post that you do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did an amazing job! I have a chair I've been wanting to recover and now I should just dive in! Congratualations on 11 years of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are braver than I, I could never get up the nerve to do a slip cover. Well done!

    I’m with you on neutrals for big ticket items and color in the rest. Easy to change out when the mood strikes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so impressed with your slipcover and I love the throw and pillow from your daughters. It all looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy! You did an amazing job with the slip cover! I could never do that. Simple straight lines for curtain panels is all that I could muster. I love the library table you found.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOO...that slipcover looks amazing...I love it...I agree in keeping furniture neutrals and adding color that is easily changed. This is why I like white walls as well. As soon as cold weather is past, I will take my red pillows and a red rug out and bring in lime greens and turquoise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How clever you are Kathy. That looks so professional. I remember my mother covering a whole suite of sofa and two chairs, but I don't think I would be brave enough. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE it! Now I need to stay home long enough to make the slipcover for my sofa I've been thinking of. Your library table is perfect and I love the way things are coming together. Can't wait to see the new rug you choose. Congrats on your blog-iversary. I'm so glad I found you quite a few years ago. Yours was one of the first blogs I started to read. Just read blogs - that was my plan - but soon I was 'pulled' into the wonderful world of blog and I've been forever grateful for the wonderful friends I've made. Like you, dear friend.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! What a fabulous job you did! Loving the green... So glad that you are still blogging and congrats for beginning your eleventh year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for coming by to read about the paint stick...such a silly post...but fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a braver woman than I! I have a loveseat that I would love to slip cover but jiminy Christmas it is so intimidating. I think yours turned out great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)