Thursday, November 8, 2018

Christmas Peeking In

I used to be pretty adamant that Christmas decorating did not begin until after Thanksgiving.  It was always a rush to get it done on that busy weekend and always with the thought that I would only have a few weeks to enjoy it.  I have changed my ways.  I find that getting it done over time in November frees up my busy Thanksgiving weekend, takes the pressure off to haul everything up at once and best of all, allows me to enjoy the Christmas season without the pressure and mess. 
I would never try to talk anyone out of waiting, I believe we should do what works best for ourselves, so I'm not trying to convert anyone, just telling you what works for me.  This dark little corner library table needed some light, especially now that it gets dark at 5 p.m.!  So I brought up an assortment of trees and some twinkle lights and made it happen. 

The little wooden church was made by my husband's great (great great?) grandfather and it is a replica of the original free Methodist church that he helped build in the little town where my husband grew up, and which is still standing.  Over the years the church built a bigger building and I happened to be there for a big church clean out day. This little church had been in a storage room and was headed to the dumpster. I loved it so I asked for it, not knowing it's family history.  When my mother in law saw it she told me where it came from and I was so happy that I had saved it from being thrown away!

Are you gearing up for Christmas decorating or waiting until Thanksgiving is over?  We are doing some traveling this year around the holidays so I am even more inspired to get the decorating finished so it is in place for the season :)







14 comments:

  1. I'll wait till the holidays are over -- but I'm thinking about it now -- starting to clear out things that won't be missed between now and Thanksgiving, bringing a few things upstairs from the basement and storing them in the guest room where I can get at them pronto, that kind of thing. I might jump the gun a bit as we are doing TG away from home and so not quite such a big deal to move it in a little early!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually wait until the day after Thanksgiving to start and it only takes me a couple of days. This year Thanksgiving is earlier so there will be plenty of time for me to enjoy the holidays. Love your grouping of trees and hearing the story of the church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY!! I didn't know that was even legal. I will have to get back with you on that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your plan, but like you, I’d say “to each her own.” Currently, I have two Christmas pillows on the sofa, twinkle lights on the sofa table, and candles in the windows. (I put them on the first day of the time change and have had them off since.)

    So glad that the wee church is in your home...great provenance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's such a pretty corner, Kathy. I've always admired that table and the little church vignette is beautiful. I'm not starting yet although the peer pressure is real!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually wait until after Thanksgiving, but it always seems too short of a time to enjoy the tree lights and twinkling lights all over. This year, I feel more inclined to start sooner and start putting things out. Why put out a bunch of Fall and TG stuff, only to have to take it down in a couple of weeks? I'm thinking why not just put out the Christmas things... slowly maybe, but if I have room, I'm going to do it. I usually leave my decorations for Christmas, and the little (faux) tree out way into late January, as I love it all so much! I love your little corner, the little trees and the sweet church. How neat to have saved it from the dump, only to find out it's a family treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I am actually just putting out the greenery and lights until after Thanksgiving, I'll add some color and festive touches after to make it more Christmasy!

      Delete
  7. I will start sooner. I always start right around Thanksgiving week, but my husband passed away in October and I need the cheerful decor to help me through the long, dark evenings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna,I am so sorry to hear that, I know it will make for a very difficult season for you. I am praying right now for you. I tried replying by email but you came through as a no-reply blogger, meaning I got your comment through email but your email address does not show up.

      Delete
  8. Oh I love that little church and I think I may love the story behind it even more. I'm going to start bringing out my Christmas stuff next week. I used to do it the weekend after thanksgiving too but like you again I"m tired of rushing so the last few years I've been starting it when I feel like it..

    ReplyDelete
  9. The story of the little church is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it and I love your way of thinking! Bit by bit, it'll be Christmas right on time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's lovely! Also - I meant to comment earlier, but I wanted you to know that I am glad your blog is back! I love every minute of it. I suppose it must feel burdensome sometimes after all these years, but please know there are readers like me who never comment.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy! And thank you for stopping to say hello and encourage me.:)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)