Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I thought I would share some of my interesting "wild" columbine plants with you. These columbine self-sow every year in a crack in the cement in front of our shed. There is no way to dig them up and put them someplace more appropriate or beautiful. There they are every year where the door rakes over them every time we open it! I have never seen these particular columbine in the garden stores. Maybe I should do a search online and see if I can come up with what kind they are.

The really funny thing is that I have bought and planted other types of columbine in my garden beds without much success. They just don't seem to come back very well, but these have been here in the crack of the cement for about 6 years or more. I think they are very pretty, but I would much rather have them in my garden!

5 comments:

  1. How funny - what a determined flower! I have columbine planted in my front bed and it comes back every year. I didn't realize it would do that when I planted it so it's a happy surprise each year when it comes back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember the ones outside the breezeway window at Gramp's house? They thrived on neglect and were crowded by all the weeds and hollyhocks, but they came back every year. This purple one is gorgous(sp). Love, Aunt Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one like the top photo. My Mom gave me a start of them (the wild ones) several years ago.

    Thanks for visiting my blog. I am enjoying yours as well!

    Take Care,
    Lana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there fellow michigander!!!
    I moved north from centerline which is alil suburb just north of detroit!
    It's fun to find fellow michigan gardeners in blog land!

    Love your blog!
    Stop by mine sometime!

    Dolly
    http://frommycherryheart.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your determined little flower. It is gorgeous. I have to drop by to see it in person.Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)