Sunday, September 9, 2007

Cheesecake


Today we had an all church picnic after services. My darling husband made his specialty, cheesecake. This was a new recipe for chocolate cheesecake that we garnished with some golden raspberries from the farmers market. The plate came home clean (thank goodness!, we didnt need to be eating too much of this rich dessert by ourselves!) Below is the recipe:>) Enjoy!
For crust
1 9-ounce box chocolate wafer cookies
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
For filling
1 1/2 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
12 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar1 tablespoon cornstarch1 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 large eggs
For glaze
1/2 cup whipping cream
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
Make crust:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Wrap outside of 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides with double thickness of foil. Spray bottom of pan with vegetable oil spray. Finely grind cookies in processor. Add butter and process until blended. Press mixture onto bottom (not sides) of prepared pan. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
Make filling:
Combine cream and coffee powder in medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat until coffee powder dissolves. Reduce heat to low. Add chocolate; whisk until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Cool 10 minutes.
Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl until well blended. Beat in cornstarch. Add sour cream and vanilla; beat well. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Whisk 1 cup cheese mixture into chocolate mixture. Return chocolate mixture to remaining cheese mixture; whisk until smooth.
Pour batter into crust. Place springform pan in large baking pan. Add enough hot water to baking pan to cone halfway up sides of springform pan. Bake cheesecake until softly set and slightly puffed around edges, about 1 hour. Turn off oven. Let cake stand in oven 45 minutes. Transfer springform pan t rack and cool. Cover; chill cake overnight.
Make glaze:
Bring cream to boil in heavy small saucepan. Remove from heat. Add 4 ounces chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth. Pour glaze over top of cake. Using spatula, smooth glaze evenly over top. Refrigerate until glaze is set, at least 2 hours. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

14 comments:

  1. Just got back and missed you. Im hungry and then I open your blog. Man now im starved.Hehe i'll take a slice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy chocolate is my favorite thing in the world, next to my hubby. That cheesecake looks so good my mouth is watering just looking at the photo. Thanks for the recipe I'm going to have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh this looks so delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I am going to have to make this one. I love chocolate, my husband loves cheesecake - sounds like a winner to me!
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kathy!!!! I am going to jump throught the screen and devour that cake!! Chocolate cheesecake is the BEST!! Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe!!

    Hugs,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know the perfect person to pass this receipe on to! Even though I don't eat cheesecake I think that I might even taste a piece of this because of the chocolate in it!

    You may have converted me! LOL!!

    *muah*
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh - HEAVEN!!!!!


    xo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just wanted to say I think you are wonderful and that you are doing great things for your family and the world. I wish the bloggers would put everything into books and flood the market with them and thus the influence of home and family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks yumm-o. So sad you didn't save me a slice.
    Were you participating in the MMP tea party?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dessert is just sinful looking! Thank you for sharing the recipe. I have company coming next month and would surely like to make this! They would be very impressed indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This Looks Deliscious!Thank You for sharing the recipe~

    Angie
    http://www.scrapnmomsmoments.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummmmmmmm! Thanks for the recipe, but, just as some of the others wished you had saved me a piece too!!! LOL!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks lovely. Thanks for sharing and your help too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I was a kid and mom would ask what kind of cake I wanted for my birthday party, I always said, "cheesecake!!" Most of the other kids hated it so I got all the more =) blessings... Polly

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)