Saturday, September 15, 2007

Hot soup on a cool day!

Mmmmm...home made minestrone soup! The weather here is 55 degrees and breezy so it is a perfect fall day for a big pot of soup. I got this recipe from a friend and it is one of my favorite comfort foods! It is fairly easy in spite of all the ingredients and you just can't beat the flavor. It tastes even better the second day and makes a big batch. Please know that this soup is just as good if you find you dont have one or two of the ingredients. For instance, I was out of potatoes and celery today but I dont even notice, I have made it with a veggie missing here or there, as long as you put a little extra of what you do have in it, it will be fine! Enjoy!

Minestrone Soup

1/4 cup olive oil

1 clove garlic minced

1 onion minced

1 Tbsp. chopped parsley

1 tsp. thyme

1/4 cup water

1/8 cup tomato paste

2 zuchini diced

6 beef boullion cubes

6 cups water

1 16 oz. can diced tomatoes

3 celery stalks chopped

2 carrots (large) sliced

3 potatoes diced

1/4 of a small cabbage, shredded

1/3 cup uncooked rice

1 can (14-15 oz.) white beans, drained & rinsed

1/2 tsp. pepper

Cook garlic , parsley, onion and thyme in oil until tender. Add tomato paste and 1/4 c. water, cook 3-4 minutes. Add all ingredients except rice and beans and cheese. Simmer about an hour. Bring to full boil, add rice and cook til soft - add beans and heat. Top with fresh parmesan or cheddar cheese at serving time.

14 comments:

  1. Wow! this looks delicious and I am saving this recipe for next weeks menu. thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Kathy, that looks so good! I love Minestrone soup! I basically love any soup! And it is getting to that time of year, isnt it?

    Hugs,
    amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wonderful and I bet the weather does too. you are soooo blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, that looks so delicious! Got lots of great stuff at the Pec Thing, but no groceries =) We've all been searching the pantry again and again, just hopeful that something good appeared since our last visit. Alas, nothing! Cereal again! Actually, we had a neighborhood picnic tonite but I didn't have anything to cook for it so I just let the kids have a hotdog from the cookout. Cereal... Hotdog... Hmmm, I'm not sure which is a more balance dinner! Have a wonderful Sunday. Blessings... Polly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yum! That looks great, and isn't the cooler weather nice?
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks yummy, but I'll have to save it for a bit - it isn't quite soup weather here in Texas yet. Not blistering hot out but still not quite cool enough for soup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum! I am saving this to make. It looks so good. We had homemade chicken pot pie tonight. Out weather is getting cooler too. I just realized tonight that I didn't have you listed under my fav blogs on my blog. I don't know why that happened - because I visit your blog every day! So I added it - I swear it was there before....hmmmm the blog gremlins must have gotten it!
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  8. the soup looks delicious. i love minestrone soup!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks delicious! I'm so happy Fall is here. We had our first cool/windy day yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Warm, delicious and good for you too! How often does that happen :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kathy ~
    Yes, your soup does look delicious, perfect for cool autumn evenings.
    Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you for sharing, I had soup on my mind just this morning. We are supposed to be cooling down and have some clouds coming in the end of the week. Puuuurfecct... Looks Great...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, this looks so good. I will have to try and make it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yum Kathy!!! :o) I can't wait to give it a try. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)