Monday, August 4, 2008

I Did It!

I did a couple things actually. First, more birds and a heart for etsy. Below is my sweet cat, Solace, investigating as I shoot some photos of my latest bird for etsy. She is such a cutie I had to share the picture:>)
But the most important thing... I finally got the last corner in my bedroom painted! As you may remember, I began painting this room in January. I usually do a room in a day but this time I just couldn't seem to get motivated. Here is a little secret, the master bedroom is the least decorated room in the house. Not forgotten, just uninspired and since it is a private space, the last to be thought of. I didn't have closet doors up for, well, I wont tell you how many years. We finally got some doors on the closet last week and I feel so much better about the room. No matter what I did before the gaping hole of messy clothes drew my eye and I lost all interest in making things better. The closet stopped me in my tracks. Now I can move on. So here you have it. A blank slate. I haven't put the pictures back on the walls, except for the one above the bed, and that is temporary. This is where the computer is and I think the fact that this is not just a bedroom but a work area has also contributed to the problem.

So the whole place needs an overhaul. Now here's the rub, I have two kids in college now and my dear husband is still partially laid off in this crummy Michigan economy. No decorating budget. Zip, nada, zero. So whatever I do in here is going to be a combination of working with what I already have stashed around the house and basement, or what I can pick up for cheap or free. Am I daunted? No. I am so used to turning a sows ear into a silk purse, I know I can do it. It may take some time but I know from seeing your own projects that it can be done. So keep an eye open, I'll share what happens to this bare bones room as I get things changed around.
I can't decide whether to paint the headboard or if I like the contrast of the dark wood and white wall. The lamp has GOT to go, yech. The art will change.....stay tuned. I want this room to look like a B&B when I'm done:>)

26 comments:

  1. I will stay tuned - and I know you will create a fabulous room. How perfect that you get to start with a clean slate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sight of an open, un-doored closet would drive me running from the room!! I can certainly understand. I can't even stand to have our walk-in closet door open!

    I'll be watching, with eager anticipation, to your re-do!!

    ~Blessings,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the contrast of the dark headboard against the light wall, but hey, whatta I know, chick! Lamp??? Start decorating it with frou-frou stuff and keep it. That's what I did. Lots of potential and I KNOW you're up for the challenge, sweetpea...
    Smoochies,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to see the headboard painted white, maybe with a pretty floral applique applied first.
    I agree with Connie a pretty makeover of the lampshade and your lamp will look sweet. Can't wait to see what you do with the room now you have finished painting it.
    I'm having a giveaway come on over for a visit.
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Alison and Connie! I bet you have some great stuff in your supplies to dress it up and if you want to give it some height .... sit it on some books or a fabric covered box ..... got shoebox, got fabric ... you have a pretty perch.

    WHat color scheme are you going with?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy

    With your touch, it'll look super!

    :0)
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure you'll do a WONDERFUL job in your bedroom. I love the linens on the bed! We need a close up of them.
    Patricia :o)
    PS: I'm so excited! I just found out that a darling little blue bird will come to live with me soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,
    I'm looking at your bedroom and had this thought. how about moving the computer to another room. That might help with your feeling that the room isn't coming together. Maybe one of the college kids room would work. Totally understand the $$ issues. My husband sells real estate and the market isn't good :(
    God provides...read about my "butt".
    That may put a smile on your face.
    Warmly, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know with your talent you'll create a lovely room. I like the dark headboard against the light wall and it also looks great with your linens. Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathy~I love your photo with the kitty and your new creation! Your vase is beautiful!!!! I know with your talents your bedroom is going to be a heavenly retreat! Looking forward to seeing what you do!
    Have a wonderful evening!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  11. That picture of your cat eyeing the bird is just too cute! I'm so glad you included that pic in your post. That kitty is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know you can do it! Cant wait to see the final result!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes you can do it! I can't wait to see what you do. Can you share with us what direction you want to go? What colors, style, etc.

    Your Scottie pillow looks adorable on Becky's bed that she has posted. Your work is always beautiful.

    Hugs,
    Lallee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kathy,

    I know your bedroom is going to look great! I love the bed as is and the contrast to the paint makes it stand out. With your sewing skills and color savy I know this room is going to have that comfy, let me curl up on the bed and take a nap look.

    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh,Kathy...how fun this will be...I LOVE operating on a budget when doing a room. I feel sooo good if it turns out pretty and I didn't spend an arm and a leg on it. You are so talented, I can hardly wait to see your B&B room when it's finished. Wish I was there to cheer you on but will do it from afar....
    love, bj

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Kathy,
    I'm a new blogger and love your page. The little bird with the kitty is so precious. How did you get him/her to hold still for the shot? I totally understand about the painting because we just finished our master bedroom this past weekend! I like the contrast of the dark wood headboard with the white linens.
    Blessings,Mumzie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the new birdies!
    Sandra And that kitty is a sweetie!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your cat is so soft and pretty! I want to hug him/her! Caught trying to catch a bird :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Kathy, I am so looking forward to seeing what you do with your bedroom. You are SO talented and artistic, that I'm sure it will be wonderful!
    xoxo,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my! Your sweet little Solace is so pretty. Also, the bedroom is lovely with all the whiteness.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great shot of Solace! Maybe she thinks the bird is real?

    What a relief to you to get that corner done. I have every confidence your room is going to look great when you're done.

    I'm sure the girls and I could come "help" you search for treasures sometime soon when you go sale-ing.

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a sense of accomplishment you must have to have finished painting your room and getting the closet doors installed!

    Now you have the perfect back drop to make a wonderful relaxing bedroom. I can't wait to see what you do. You have a great decorating style and are very creative~
    xo
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  23. I found your blog via Lallee's, thanks!

    I loved reading about your bedroom and your dilemma with it. I can so relate as we too have a bedroom that's just not 'together' at this point. (after 27 years of marriage, mind you-I have an old dresser, night stand, and vanity that is from the 1950s-drexel heritage-so hard to part with it.) I don't know what to do with ours, either. I'll bookmark your blog so I can see what you do. I know you can inspire me. Take care~

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Kathy - your sweet furbaby is sooooooooooooo cute!!!!!!!!

    Have fun with your redo - I know it will turn out beautifully!!!!

    xo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)