Saturday, August 14, 2010

In the Garden

Do you get tired of garden photos? I hope not, because that is all that is really happening around here in the dog days of summer. The garden has gone wild.  The David Austin rose is blooming again, the zinnias are still rioting and the butterflies are feasting on buddlia 'til they are quite drunk on nectar.
The photo on the right is the Kentucky wonder beans that Earl planted this spring. they must be 12 feet high and we had our first meal of them last night:>) They haven't done much as far as bearing, all those vines yielded a large handful of beans, but they are still blooming and I hope that means they are done growing up and will put their full energy into producing beans! Even if they don't they are lovely to look at and the morning glories that reseed themselves have stolen up the supports so we see their little purple heads peeking out in the morning.  The cinderella pumpkin has more than quadrupled in size this past week. Amazing! And the sunflowers tower over us with dinner plate sized blooms that the bees just can't get enough of.  It's summers finest effort before the fall.  I am working hard to finish this semester (two more weeks and then a couple weeks of total freedom!) Some projects are on the sewing machine and, I admit, I've done a fair bit of nothing when I could have been producing something. Ah well, summer doesn't last forever and sometimes a little vacation laziness is in order. I hope you are all getting your last days of summer fill of sunshine, warmth and flowers:>)

17 comments:

  1. Nope, I never tire of looking at gardens or flowers, chick. I'm being lazy today and just surfin' the' blogs!
    xoxo,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never tire of garden photos. All that beautiful color is part of what makes summer so splendid.(that and working for a school to get a vacation!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never tire of garden photos! Yours are beautiful. My garden is ahead of yours and the sunflowers are all drooping and fading now. My cucumbers and zucchini are done and pulled out of the garden.

    Tomatoes are still producing, but not quite as fast.
    xo
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that peppermint looking zinnia...which reminds me of your peppermint popcorn I never tried. It is on my to do list!
    My flowers could not take this heat ...it has been over 100 degrees for many days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It great that all of your flowers are still doing so well in this heat...my clematis has yet to bloom and everything dries out faster than I can keep up with watering. Thankfully it is raining today.

    I'm glad you are going to have some time off...you deserve it. Relax and only do fun things!

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never. I thought for a second you were out in my Zinnia bed. Then I peeked out the window and realized mine need a quick drink. Off I run to water them up.

    Toodle-oo-
    Kate - The Garden Bell

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing like a bit of summer laziness.
    keep on with the garden photos. The buddlia is beautiful - do you also call them Butterfly Bush as well as Buddlia like we do here in Australia
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely flowers and colors. Just delightful to come and take a break and just enjoy your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the photo's from your garden! No matter what season it is, they are always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I for one love to look at garden pictures. Your zinnias are breathtaking! I don't have a blossom on the greenbeans yet. Too hot at night for them still. Enjoy your time off, you so deserve it. Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never tire of looking at gardens. Yours are beautiful! My zinnia seeds didn't take this year and I'm missing them for sure. They give such a riot of color to the garden this time of year. Hope you are having a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nope, I love gardening and I'm always delighted to see what people have growing!

    Your garden looks beautiful! So much of mine has dried up died in this awful heatwave we've been having. We did get some rain this week so somethings are perking up.

    Your zinnias are just gorgeous! Such happy colors!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kathy, I love your garden pictures - gardening is the one reason I would have moved to your side of the mountain!!! But my honey didn't want to deal with the rain (me, I love it!) And I miss the roses!!! Booo Hooo! Anyway, I am still trying to figure out this new blogspot...I will try a new post tomorrow. Have a great week,
    xoxo
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. O, I love seeing your beautiful flowers and hearing your lovely descriptions of them all. :)

    Things are just about done around here, too. So hot that the flowers and vines are droopy. I give them a shot of water and they perk up for a day...then with the 101+ temps, they are back on the ground. A few knockout roses and that's it.

    Enjoy the rest when it comes and feel a little laziness...it's good for the soul. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your photos are just gorgeous. Thanks so much for visiting and for entering our APRON GIVEAWAY. Lidy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your garden photos. Nothing blooming here but periwinkles and a few daisies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, how do you support vines that grow that high, lol. I hope you had an abundance of beans.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)