Thursday, January 17, 2008

Letters from the past....

Ok, it's dark, its grey, I am having a major sunshine withdrawal and can't seem to get anything done from the lack of energy. I go to work just as the sun begins to peek out and have completely lost any ambition for projects by the time work ends. It snowed again Monday and I am tired of white, and cold, and dark. Winter is about 2 1/2 months too long for me! Whew, ok, now I have the whining out of my system (sorry) I'll show you something that goes with my treasure hunting post. Remember how I said I would love to go through old abandoned houses and hunt for goodies? Well, a few years ago my brother bought an abandoned house to fix up and resell. As soon as he got possesion we went down to help him clean it up and found some really fun stuff. A suitcase full of World War 2 letters was one of them! It looks like every letter that went between James and Chloe Robison during the war was saved, tied in ribbon, and stuffed in the suitcase! Even old Valentines, birthday cards and correspondence from friends and relatives. Seems that James was reported missing/captured at one point and it was a long few months for the family before he was found! Every once in a while I pull out some of the letters and read them. I feel like a shameless voyeur, but what else would I do? There are hundreds of letters and once I read them I intend to share them. I'm listing some on my etsy shop later today. Whether you want to read them, or use them for crafts, they will be available for your own shameless voyeuristic perusal. Just the ticket on a grey boring day:>)

15 comments:

  1. That's ok Kathy, whine all you want! I am lucky here in NC that the sun is shining most of the time. However we woke up to about 5 inches of snow this morning. Now it is raining and ice is starting to cover everything...

    I love the vintage letters! What a treasure to find!
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kathy! That is one of the neatest things ever! I would love to find treasures like that! And I would read them too, how romantic!!!

    And I feel EXACTLY like you about Winer!!! I am so sick of it I could scream! I need the sunshine too. :( Hopefully we can at least have that soon!

    Hugs,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy,
    It's getting very grey here this afternoon, so no sunshine to follow through the house today! I wish you could come and visit -- even without the sun, it would be fun to sit on the sofa and share some cookies and tea! :)
    xoxo,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy
    How neat to sneak a peek..and it's all so positive, it's about LOVE! Please share when you can! Tara

    ReplyDelete
  5. A few minutes in the tanning salon sure helps drive that 'gloomy lack of sunshine' feeling away!
    Love the old letters..that is so romantic, are you displaying some in your home?
    I kind of like winter...can I say that here?? Supposed to go to -34C tonite. I'm telling you that's 'crisp'..lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am with you on the winter thing. We ahve had very mild winters the last couple of years and then this one hit like a ton of bricks. It just stinks, so gray and cold.Waaawaaa. That's me bawling in case you can't figure it out.

    Enjoy the letters.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is awsome about the letters. I know there is so much feeling in them.
    I think it is awsome how in the old days people poured their hearts out on paper. The only way they had to stay in contact.
    I tell my hubby....don't buy me a card..write me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a treasure you have found. I'm off to your etsy shop to take a look now! Oh...I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am trying to order the WW II letters and the ivory heart and it keeps telling me you do not ship to the US. Now, I thought you were in Michigan! Could you help me do this? I have tried and tried!!

    combs_sue@yahoo.com


    Your blog is so lovely. I have really enjoyed visiting!

    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you dear Kathleen!! It all just went through! I am so excited.

    Your things are so lovely!

    Happy weekend!

    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Kathy,

    I just discovered your wonderful blog through Mary's Little Red House. I love it already! What a great treasure to find such wonderful letters. It indeed would be a great job! I love to find treasures in my own house that I forgot I had. Love your little hearts! I'm sure I wil definately be a frequent visitor here!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. that is too cool that you guys found those old letters! i would have read them, too. i found a postcard at my SO's house from WW2 in an antique desk from his grandparents. i tried to read it...but the handwriting was really really cursive and i couldn't make out the words! haha

    :) Diana
    The Chic Life

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kathy, oh sweet lady you whine all you like!! We whine about the heat down here LOL Fabulous letters, we would have read them for sure!! Jenn and Jacqui

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)