Monday, December 1, 2014

"Chicken" soup.

I had planned on doing some more holiday decorating today, instead I am fighting whatever bug has left me sniffling, achy and feverish.  It's that time of year.  Whenever I have a loved one who feels this way I make my favorite Chicken soup recipe and rush it right over. I don't know for sure that it has healing properties, but it sure tastes good when you're suffering.
 I shared this four years ago when a blog friend was feeling ill.  Of course, this time I had leftover turkey and the broth I made from the bones so it isn't technically "chicken" soup, but it tastes just as good and it's a great way to use up that turkey.  If I weren't sick already I would have made it up and frozen it without the noodles, I would have also put the chopped turkey / chicken in a separate frozen package. I don't like to overcook the meat when it has already been cooked.  Then I could thaw the broth and veggies, add the noodles and meat and be ready to eat in no time.
I did a step by step recipe at the link, don't let it intimidate you. It looks like more work than it is and it is so good for you and so worth the effort.
Now, I'm off to grab the nearest quilt and veg on the sofa until I can breathe again.
The good news is, about all I can do is visit blogs. Everything has a silver lining ;>)

13 comments:

  1. You soup look fabulicious! Blogging & eating turkey soup - that for sure will help you get feeling better! hugs....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your soup looks like the perfect remedy for your ills Kathy. I hope you feel better soon!
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always go to chicken soup when I'm feeling a little under the weather. I hope your turkey soup has you feeling spiffy in no time. It certainly looks appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. feel better soon, kathy! it is no fun being sick this time of year. enjoy your delicious soup....yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry that the dreaded flu bug found you. Both John and I were sick for much of October with it. Ugh. The soup looks delish and I certainly hope that it has wonderful medicinal properties. Feel better soon...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog header looks so wonderful! And your chicken noodle looks so warming and yummy! Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kathy. I hope you are feeling better today. I agreewith you about the soup. Not sure if it helps , but it just makes you feel comforted doesn't it. Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry you've been under the weather but I hope you're feeling better after enjoying your chicken soup! I just copied the 'recipe'. I cooked a turkey on Sunday since we had been with our son and his family on Thanksgiving. My dear, little mother wanted leftovers so I cooked turkey dinner for us. Today is the day I'm going to make broth from the carcass - and I'm going to make your chicken (turkey) soup. Thanks for the idea for freezing the soup ingredients for future use. I love the thought of being ready for whenever it's needed. Take care of yourself, dear friend.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some doctors swear by chicken soup..:)
    Your soup really looks good..I have used your suggestion of boiling the bones of a chicken for the stock and it works good every single time.
    Hope you are feeling better.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathy, I've been hearing about this horrible bug that seems like it's hitting everyone. Uggg. Hope you feel better soon.

    Your turkey noodle soup looks so good. I think that turkey soup is probably my favorite thing to do with leftover turkey. I just love it.

    Hope you feel better soon. But hey... as least being able to relax and do some blog reading is fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you're feeling better Kathy! Your soup looks delicious! I saved my turkey bones and few leftover bits to make soup when it gets colder again. Right now it's so warm during the day that I have the AC on but at night and early am it's freezing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope by now you are feeling better and the chicken soup was a factor in getting better. I love soup of anytime..but I love chicken soup!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)