Monday, March 3, 2008

Today, I thought I would share my living room with you. It is one of my favorite rooms because it is sunny and warm and comfortable. It is a work in progress, but aren't they all? My youngest daughter and I painted it a warm yellow this fall. It actually looks darker in this picture than it is . You can see one of the cats enjoys the sunshine in the window too! To the left you can see the edge of an old dining table we brought up from the basement so Victoria could work on her AP Art projects in the best light. She will be finished with school at the end of the month and it will go back to the basement, but right now it is full of her art projects. The old water pump lamp I picked up at a garage sale is in the corner. Not sure that I love it there and may look for something a little less rustic. Yes, I still have a Christmas wreath hanging in the picture frame over the sofa, I must change that to something more springy! Someday the beige carpet has to go and I would like wood floors instead.The beam in the ceiling used to be the outside wall of our house. When we moved here as newlyweds the house was around 600 square feet. We added two bedrooms and a bath, building everything ourselves except the basement. At the time, and after living in such limited space we thought doubling the size of the house would be plenty. HA! I blame youth and inexperience for that idea. Some day, even when the girls are grown & gone, we will move. But until then, it's just our little cottage and I am pretty happy with it. It helps that we have 5 acres to roam. The expansiveness outside, and the large windows helps it feel a bit more spacious than it really is.
I also need to make some new pillows for the sofa and chair but that will have to wait until I am done with my second job! That is my living room, small but cosy and warm. Hope you enjoyed the tour:>)



18 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the tour! Your living room is so warm and cottagey! Actually, I'd rather have more land than more house any day.

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Kathy!

    I love your living room. I think my wall color is similar. Your living room looks for inviting.

    I would much rather have a smaller home with beautiful land around, than a huge home with neighbors 10 feet away. I used to live in a subdivision in Florida, where you could hear your neighbors clicking silverware if they were eating on there back porch...We have 3 acres and a state forest accross are private road. That view you always see on my blog is looking at the state forest.
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your home is lovely Kathy! We have a cozy home here with 7 people. But you know what? I wouldnt want it any other way! What is the name of the color on your walls? It looks very similar to the color I have chosen for mine!

    Hugs,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful home and post! We treasure a home that is loved...a most important (and overlooked) element in design!! And kijsa giggled with glee at art projects in the living room! Sounded very familiar!!! Your room exudes family, warmth and memories...a treasure indeed!

    blessings,
    kari & kijsa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I just KNEW your living room would be soft and warm and comfy and charming! Just like you!!
    Thanks for the tour....and I go along with everyone else. It's the wonderful and blessed land around you that is so treasured! Anybody can build a house...only one FELLA can do the land thing!! :)
    I've looked at all your pics and don't see even one heart hanging around!!?!!
    hugs, bj

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty yellow, Kathy! I think it's hard to find a nice warm yellow that doesn't end up harsh in the sunlight, but you've done it! Love your sweet kitty! And those plaid sofas are so cozy and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Penny! How wonderful to have that much acreage for your beautiful cottage :-) We only have an acres but like Penny are backed up to protected Sate game lands. It does make everything seem bigger to have room to breathe!

    ((hugs)) Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Kathy, what a pretty room! I'd love to come and perch on the chair in the window. Do you think Kitty would mind? :)

    I really think small is beautiful. I wouldn't have it any other way.

    Thanks for sharing!
    xoxo,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice and homey as it should be.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing your living room with us. Love the colour.
    Doesn't the sun look warm and inviting coming through the window.
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved the tour.. so warm and welcoming. I loved your Christmas wreath and if the berries matched I may have to keep it up also. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK, Kathy, I want a cup of tea..and hey, move over! I need some space on the chair!

    What a lovely place to sit and reflcet--love it!

    :0)

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kathy,

    It's so nice to find a fellow MI person with a blog! Your living room is sweet, along with your birds and hearts. Hearts have always been one of my favorite things ever since childhood.

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kathy,

    Absolutely wonderful...your room is lovely...(love the rooster pillow)!

    Have a blessed day!

    smiles, kari & kijsa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kathy,

    I've just found your blog....love it! Also love your living room.....so much natural light...that's wonderful!

    Thanks for sharing this lovely post!

    LaurieAnna

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to curl up in that chair and sunshine and read a good book. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kathy, I love your living room! It looks so cozy and warm. I live in a small house too. We finished our basement when our children were young, and it was the best thing we ever did because it was a BIG room and we all had our "special spots" in it to do things, and yet be together.

    Have a wonderful week!

    Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  18. I adore your living room. And that window is absolutely wonderful!
    I have a small house but NO acreage! : ( We do back up to a city park so claim that as our yard! : )

    You are so lucky to have such a special place in which to live.

    Love,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)