Tuesday, December 14, 2010

White Christmas

Today is the White Christmas event over at Cuisine Kathleen.  Kathleen does amazing tablescapes. I'm almost ashamed to participate in this meme, I am simply not a tablescaper. While I would love to have a butlers pantry filled with dishes of all kinds, the humble cottage has limited storage, so I tuck away what I can here and there and dream of the day I can indulge my wicked desires for crockery.
In the mean time, one of our loveliest holiday traditions in this household is the advent dinner.  We take time every Sunday of Advent to sit down to some candle light, appetizers, sparkly juice and treats and just enjoy being together as a family. I fancy things up as best I can to make it special.  Kathleens' challenge to do an all white table was tough for me. If you hadn't noticed, I'm usually all about color!  I have been lightening up lately though, and I realized I have started collecting a lot of silver and white for Christmas.
I love the look of mercury glass, just like most of you do, so I pick it up a little at a time on clearance after Christmas. The beautiful mercury snowflake votive holders were gifts, as was the plainer votive holder that just gets better with age. I love how it sparkles and catches the light. The heavily embroidered, brilliant white tablecloth came from a church sale.
I picked up the silver chargers a couple years ago, cute with my new white plates and silvery snowflake napkin holders. I love snowflake motifs for the table because they are appropriate all winter. It's nice to get a little extra use out of these and I need even more sparkle in January than I do in December! Earl will be so thrilled that he has to pick glitter out of his mustache from that glittery pic! lol.  He puts up with a lot having three women in the house! (Love you honey) A few white bottle brush trees, some sparkly silver  candle trees (am I the only one who can't bring themselves to burn those things?) and a few snowflake ornaments scattered on the table and I'm done. It isn't as spectacular as Kathleens, and let me tell you, her table is spectacular! but it's just right for our little cottage. Head on over and see the table she did and all the other lovely tables in her linky. You'll love the sparkle too!

26 comments:

  1. It is lovely! I'm not sure I can do a completely white tablescape and have it look good at all! Love the silver touches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your table is beautiful. Love the mercury glass with the white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here, but I don't need a butler's pantry, I'd rather Kathleen just come over and set it up! She could make lunch while she's at it, too! Your table is beautiful! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful ~ you know why? Because it is YOU. I learned a long time ago that I am most comfortable being ME and not try to copy someone else. Then all those around me are comfortable also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy, you set a BEAUTIFUL table--one I would love to sit at and enjoy. Your detail is expressed wonderfully. I give you an A+ for this assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Advent table is lovely, I adore all of your white. It looks very elegant and so special.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! I love the sparkle and shine from the silver and glass you've included. The snowflake motif is perfect for this table!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your table with all the sparkling from the silver and crystal...I have the same footed glasses, in fact I almost used them on my white table!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your sparkle! And that last photo is particularly gorgeous. (I forgot all about this meme!)
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you did a beautiful table...I love all of the white and sparkle! I am heading over there now to see more white tables!

    xo,

    annie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm usually all about the color too but you did a wonderful job of setting a white table! Besides, you have the perfect white chairs - they're wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your table is absolutely beautiful Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your table is beautiful, Kathy! It's like a winter wonderland! Just gorgeous and sparkly. I can't bear to burn pretty candles either! ;-D

    XO,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your table is beautiful Kathy....I love your mercury glass and yes, I have a hard time buring tree/bird/anything special type candles too.
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  15. White and silver, one of my favorite color combo. Your table is stunning!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoyed your post. The tablesetting is so pretty in silver and white and I love your collections in the centerpiece. Happy to have found you through Kathleen's party.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kathleen...your table is stunning! What a wonderful setting. I love the mercury glass votives...really just sets everything off!

    Merry CHRISTmas!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think you did a beautiful job! Love the white with silver! Mine is white with gold!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your table is just gorgeous!! How is the weather on your side of town? :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMGosh, Kathy. This table is just AMAZING. I love your pretty candle holders so much. Your new white dishes are beautiful and that tablecloth...well...I'd sure arm wrestle you for it if I lived next door.:))
    Everything looks just beautiful.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kathy, What do you mean your table isn't spectacular? It is amazing. I am thinking how pretty it would be to decorate my table like this in January....if I do any entertaining. Give yourself some credit you are very talented lady with your tablescape and other decorating ideas.

    Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  22. KG, you did a great job, it looks beautiful! And thanks so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to join in. Love your new white dishes with your mercury glass...just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love what you have done with white at the cottage! Your white chairs are lovely too. We have white chairs at our cottage, and I wanted to bring them home for this event. LOL

    I also looked at your finals project and love the textures. Did you use a crimper to get the ridges? I look forward to your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I had to laugh...I have Christmas tree candles and pine cone candles...oh and some rose candles...none of which ever get lighted. I just can't stand the thought that burning them once means that they're done and gone. Your tablescape is lovely. You also made me smile when you spoke of tucking things away...I have a set of Haviland China in the headknocker in the powder bath..LOL. Thank you for sharing your charming Christmas design with us. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  25. Kathleen, thanks for stopping by my post. I am thrilled that you would want to save some of my pics for your resource file. Have at it with anything that I might post that captures your interest. Congratulations on finishing your semester! Love the wreath...so well done! Hope that you got an 'A!' Merry Christmas! Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)