Sunday, December 16, 2007

Hoopla:>)

( PHOTO Courtesy of BHG.com)

I have been tagged by Adrienne Of "With A Grateful Heart" and Penny of "Lavender Hill Studio" to reveal 12 random Christmas things about myself that you don't know.


1. List 12 random things about yourself that have to do with Christmas
2. Please refer to it as a 'HOOPLA' and not the dreaded 'm'-word (I think this means meme)

3. You have to specifically tag people when you're done. None of this "if you're reading this, consider yourself tagged" stuff is allowed...then nobody ends up actually doing it. The number of people who you tag is really up to you -- but the more, the merrier to get this 'hoopla' circulating through the blogosphere.
4. Please try and do it as quickly as possible. The Christmas season will be over before we know it and I'd like to get as many people involved as possible.
So here are my 12 Random Christmas Things:


1. I prefer a live tree. When I was little, my family Christmas was not all that great. My step-dad had a "thing" about Christmas and made it as miserable as possible for all of us. I was the one who insisted on Christmas decorations and the tree. We cut our own back then too and it was fairly miserable but for some reason, my step-dad always gave me the final word on the perfect tree. Nobody else cared that much but we would not stop looking or cut a tree until I had pronounced that this is the one. One of the few indulgences I had as a child. I am still picky, but my daughters choose now, and they are as choosey as I was!

2. I prefer wrapped boxes to gift bags. I think it is too easy to peek in a bag and I love the square packages tied with pretty ribbon.

3. I am still the driving force behind decorating and celebrating Christmas. Anyone else wonder what Christmas would be like if you just sat back and put your feet up and left it to someone else?

4. I have only one rule for gifts, no appliances!

5. It wouldn't be Christmas without candles. I burn enough to heat the house!

6. One of my favorite Christmas movies is "The Bishops Wife" with Carey Grant and Loretta Young.

7. I don't remember ever believing in Santa.

8. I love wrapping gifts. I love making them really pretty with tags and ribbon and foof. I buy lots of wired and pretty ribbon and re-use it from year to year.

9. One of my favorite things about Christmas is sitting in the living room with a nice cup of coffee or tea and watching Christmas movies by the glow of the tree and candles. If it is snowy out all the better.

10. I hate taking down the decorations as a job, but each year at New Years I take it all down and relish the clean fresh look for the new year.

11. One of my favorite Christmas memories is when the girls were little and we told them they couldn't wake us up until 6 a.m. We would hear them get up, whisper, giggle, filling our stockings, more giggling, ask each other what time it was (we were awake listening and laughing!) and then when they knew it was time they would "surprise" us by playing a carol on the piano.

12. We don't have a big Christmas dinner. We do a fancy Christmas breakfast, with chocolate stuffed French toast, fresh fruit and sparkling juice. We open our stockings at the table and then move on to presents. Then we get together with extended family(aunts, uncles, cousins, grandma) for a potluck and more gifts. Very relaxed and happy. We all bring our best dish and snack and chat and have a great time.
I am going to pass this on to Rhonda of "Farmhouse Style". Happy Chirstmas to all of you. I will post my Advent celebration later tonight:>)

9 comments:

  1. Is this what I get for wishing for pheasant freedom....LOL, I'm just joking:) I think these random lists are fun and I love reading more about my blogging friends. Although it breaks my heart that you were never able to believe in Santa, hopefully being "woke up" by giggling girls makes up for it.

    I like the idea of a Christmas breatkfast, Yum! I'll post my list on Monday.

    Enjoy your Sunday!

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy, I'm kind of glad the pheasant made his escape, too. Loved your list, especially the part about the Christmas breakfast -- sounds wonderful!

    Looking forward to seeing more of your decorations!
    Have a great week!
    xoxo,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all these with your holiday hoopla! What a highlight memory to pick your own tree when little..we loved them all (especially be 'waking' the children Christmas morning with a carol on the piano, we might have to add that one!

    Merry Christmas blessinsg,
    kari & kijsa

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun to read everyone's Christmas memories! I too prefer the wrapping over the bags, except when I am in a hurry!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathy,
    I know for a fact, if I just sat back and did nothing.....my husband would say, lets go get a tree....and he would probably decorate it, if I didn't. But the cookies, would not get baked, the cards would not get mailed and most of the presents would not be purchased....lol. I am the driving force here too....

    You sound like you have a lot of wonderful memories...
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Dear Neice, You certainly got your snow and i hope that you were snuggled up with your honey watching, "A Christmas Story." LAS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kathy, great HOOPLA, but since when did 'M' get re-named to Hoopla! Where have we been? Great to learn more about you :) Have a lovely week! Jenn and Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you about preferring boxes to gift bags. Like you, I love to wrap, and I always have a theme. This year it was a homespun Christmas theme, and all our gifts are wrapped in plain, brown paper dressed with beautiful satin bows. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)