Friday, August 3, 2007

Meet another daughter!

This is my eldest daughter Lauren Kathleen. My sweet college student. Lauren is 19 and has been the joy of my life for most of that time (hey, we can't all be joy all the time! and 99.9% is a pretty good percentage :>)) No really, I love her to pieces and she loves me. Lauren is a lot like me and in some of these pics she resembles my younger self so much it is scary. Sometimes I think she likes being like me and sometimes I think she is just trying to be just herself. I guess that is what we all have to do eventually, find our own place in this world. Find out who we are and how we define ourselves.I am so proud of the woman Lauren has become, but sometimes I want to say,"come back over and sit on my knee, be my little girl again. " Lauren defining herself, redefines me too. I will always be her mom and I will always love her, but the relationship does change. She needs her independence. She needs to make choices and decisions on her own. She needs my trust that she can manage her own life without my constant advice. Some day I know it will be easier to step back and give her that space (please tell me it will !) but right now I struggle. I worry she will fall. I worry that I haven't taught her enough or the right things. I relate her success way too much to my own.
Lauren you are my heart beating outside my body. I hope I gave you wings big enough to take you wherever you want to go.

10 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous post!! Someday when she has her own children I am sure she will realize how hard it is to be a MOM!!

    xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such beautiful girls! And they have such beautiful names! Thank you for sharing them with us!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful daughter...
    Your words are so true, my sons are "men" now and I often wonder where the time went...I miss scooping them up in my arms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is so pretty~I'm sure her wings will do the right thing!
    And your heart will too :)
    I can't imagine what it feels like to have a daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your daughters are beautiful. I was reading your profile and it could have been me you were writing about. Love toile, my favorite.
    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I hope you will come back again.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are truly beautiful, Kathy. You and Earl have done a great job and they are as ready as they can be for whatever lies ahead. The scripture you had the other day says it all, "Raise up a child. . . ." Some have to take some detours, but they will find their way. Thank you for doing this blog in addition to everything else you do. I just love to see the beautiful pix that you do. Makes me feel closer. LAS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such wonderful daughters. Can they meet my sons? It's hard to send children off into the world, but also it's wonderful to see them grow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely daughters you have, they sure do take after you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She's a beautiful daughter~young lady.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your daughter's are so beautiful! I was reading your posts and tears came to my eyes! I know this feeling oh so well. But I would be willing to bet that those precious daughters will be just fine. I have enjoyed your blog!
    Barbara
    Southern Lady's Vintage

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)