Wednesday, June 6, 2007

It's a Beautiful Day!

Today, the rain stopped and the sun came out. Everything looks beautiful and the plants are so happy! Now you get to see some of my gardens in all their weedy glory! first the fuchsia, which I love because it brings the hummingbirds. I hope that one day I can get a picture of the little darlings hovering near the flowers. I have seen them but they are so quick.




Here is the first Gallardia to bloom in the garden, they are one of the first flowers to open and they bloom until frost. Love them because they are very prolific and colorful



These roses were end of season Farmers Market deals. A little over a year ago, as the growing season drew to a close, I came across a farmer at the market who had a huge truckload of perennials for sale for $2 each! These were in large containers and I got enough assorted plants to fill a bed in front of the house and 2 or 3 of these pretty pink roses. They grow the best of any rose I have ever had and bloom constantly all summer and fall. What a deal! I love this shade of pink.
A close up of the peas growing out behind the shed. I love snow peas and these are beginning to bloom. Stir fry here we come!

And last, but not least, a dilemma. We have a bluebird house that does actually attract bluebirds. Unfortunately, the nest and eggs you see here are not bluebird eggs. No, they are wren eggs. Now I think wrens are lovely, cute little birds, but I have actually found the bluebird eggs (near the end of their gestation) thrown out of the nest and the nest taken over by the wren. I don't know what to do. The wren is smaller than the bluebird so there isn't really any way to exclude it. I almost hate to let the wren eggs hatch because I am afraid it teaches the wren to come back year after year. Any ideas out there? I really love the bluebirds and really want them to feel safe in my bluebird house. I must admit though that even the wren nest is beautiful. Mother wren was not happy when I took this picture. She chattered at me the whole time and I really expected to be dive bombed! Needless to say, I took the pic and got out of there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)